Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2000 Tahoe

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Aug 22, 2000.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me if the 2000/2001 Tahoe 4x4 is a better design than the 89/91 K5s? I had a dealer tell me that the new Tahoes are twice the truck as compaired to the older K5s. He said they are apples and oranges in design. I'm not trying to stack this question but I like my 89 K5 better in design and price. Also is the front straight axle differential stronger that the newer CV design in the Tahoes. The dealer of course said the CV design is stronger and gives more clearence.......

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

{sigh} The things the dealer will tell just so they can make a $40,000 sale...

HE'S FULL OF IT

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

3. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately opinions are like a!@#$holes everyone has one.
    I have a 94 independant suspension blazer and I want to convert it to a solid axle because the independant is not only weaker but you can only lift it 6" I am definately not
    an expert on the subject but I cannot imagine a 2000 model
    being any stronger. I am guessing that salesman is just looking out to make his wallet fatter than to give you sound
    advise. If you were to put a dana 60 in the front of your blazer there would not be an independant nearly as strong.
    Not even a 3500 one ton. Go to your local 4x4 shop and watch
    them install a lift on an independant suspension truck or blazer if you look at the components you will see what I mean. Again just my opinion. Brian

MUDNUT

4. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

As if the slasemen would turn away a potential cutsomer.... "The 2000 tahoes suck, go back in your k5, its a real truck" he would be fired for saying anything like this concerning any truck, any year about any sale ever.

however a good friend just bought one and they are nice, but my k5 not leaving for no amount of cupholders or onstar operators...

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

5. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

There's a reason you dont read about cv front end instalation in the 4x4 mags,but plenty of straight axle swaps. Just think what you could do to your K5 with half of the money youd spend on a tahoe. New lift,tires,motor,tranny t-case the list is never ending. Than you could spend the rest on something you really want Like, oh I dont know, another K5 maybe. Ya their nice but I wouldnt put it up against an older model 4x4. If you just need it for a little snow on the way to the ski lodge no prob.

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

6. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

My brother was a Chevrolet dealer for about six months. In those six months, he made more than I did the whole year. He did not accmoplish this by saying the new arrivals were no better than their predecessors. But he knew it because parked out behind C.Weaver Chevrolet was a 73 GMC pick up with a six inch Black Diamond and a heavily built 350.
    Comparing creature comforts and convenient push-button transfer cases with good ol' solid axles and rubber floor mats IS comparing apples to oranges. Bottom line: Ain't no way IFS is stronger than solid axle. Comparing a 1989 K5 and a 2001 Tahoe, both in showroom condition you will see that the 2001 has progressed leaps and bounds in terms of technology; things like a way cool sound system, push button 4x4, leather, "homelink" and that stuff. THAT stuff is how the trucks improved. IFS is how the trucks took a step back in the strength department. I hate to say it, but F$@D has a corner on the market by combining the best of both worlds.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

7. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

The salesmen told you one thing that was true. It is like comparing apples to oranges. The two vehicles are nothing alike. And the new Tahoes are not twice the truck the 69-91s were, they are twice the car the 69-91s were though. I like the new tahoes, and i liked the prviouse tahoe, but there is nothing like a straight axle K5!!!! Amen brother. Preacing the K5 gosple. Salvation. I am getting carried away now, I better stop...
    Ike

Jeep, what every boy dreams of... K5 what every man owns!!!

8. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

They aren't even a third of the truck a K/5 is, but they are way more plush on the inside.

Tell the dealer that he is a liar, and that he doesn't know anything about trucks. IFS trucks high-center way more that a straight axle (hence people converting them).

As far as strentgh goes, they are probably similar in their stock configuration, but you can get a K/5, beef it out, and you'll have a kickin' trail ride and enough left over for a boat, quad, motorcycle, and gas.

Ask the dealer liar if he knows anyone who wheels one of those. Would you take a $40,000 truck and risk denting and scratching on rocks--and possibly voiding your warranty? I am sure guys like that are out there, but I am not one of them.

[​IMG]

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The Inferior Front Suspension (IFS) on the Tahoe is weaker, heavier, has zero articulation, and little travel when compared to the solid axle found under a k5. Although the Tahoe would be pretty nice to cruise around town in.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

10. James

James 1/2 ton status

Brian60,
    Your absolutely right. the independent front suspension is much weaker than the straight axel. This is exactly why hard core 4 wheelers(rock crawlers) take there newer chevys and have straight axels put on. In all fareness the only benefit or advantage to independent is desert racing(more control) and street driving (much smoother). Rides like a cadilac. Perfect for that yuppy scum who wants to pose as a hard core 4 wheeler. Actually I do admitt I love the new Blazers just not as much as my 73. I hate to say it but this is exactly why F--d has the straight on there heavy duties. At least they did something right.
    Peace
    James

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The number one rule to remember when a car salesman is talking to you is:
    As long as his mouth is moving he is lying.
    Also I have compaired a new Tahoe with a 89k5. I'm still driving the 89. A friend of mine just traded a new(2000) chev P/U for a Jeep because he did not like it. In my opinion. Unless you want to look like all the other urban assualt vehicles on the road.Keep your 89K5. K5s are Kool. Always will be.

[​IMG]

12. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Hrm? That salesman should needs to pull his lower lip over his forehead and swallow. Let me put it to you this way. It is like comparing a Cadialac and a Camaro SS. The Caddy has many more bells and wissles than the Camaro, but the Camaro would embarass it at any stop light. Just as the Taho is much nicer and K-5 is much better performing. If you want a truck that you drive around town and be warm and cozy in get the Taho. If you want a hard ass truck that is unbeatable off-road and endlessly upgradeable keep the K-5. I have a K-5 and I have a friend with a 97 Taho. If he decided to trade me I would do it, but I would sell it and buy 5 k-5's the next day.

Sparky

78 K-5

13. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Hrm? That salesman needs to pull his lower lip over his forehead and swallow. Let me put it to you this way. It is like comparing a Cadialac and a Camaro SS. The Caddy has many more bells and wissles than the Camaro, but the Camaro would embarass it at any stop light. Just as the Taho is much nicer and K-5 is much better performing. If you want a truck that you drive around town and be warm and cozy in get the Taho. If you want a hard ass truck that is unbeatable off-road and endlessly upgradeable keep the K-5. I have a K-5 and I have a friend with a 97 Taho. If he decided to trade me I would do it, but I would sell it and buy 5 k-5's the next day.

Sparky

78 K-5

14. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Well, speaking as the owner of an IFS Blazer, a 92, I can say that they are very nice vehicles. They just got nicer and nicer as the years went on too. They are at least on the same level strenghwise. They are not plastic toys like the little Blazers or an EXpl@rer. They are still big, heavy, and mostly metal. THE IFS IS THE EXCEPTION. IT SUCKS! Very limited travel, expensive lifts, you have to lower the whole diff to get lift, it's just a pain. It's not like the independant suspension on the HUMVEE's or the sort of stuff like PreRunners have. It's not as strong or as capable. That's why mine is getting ditched as soon as I run across about $10,000, a F*&d front D60, a Corporate 14FF, and a good place to do the fabrication and installation other than ORU(hint: THEY SUCK MONKEY BALLS!). Now, offroad, the K5 will kick it's ass unless you are doing little stuff. You didn't say what this truck will be for. If it is for your wife/girlfriend/daughter/dad who never drives the truck off paved roads/etc then it would probably be the better choice. If it is for you, and you intend on actually 'wheeling it, then go with the old straight axle K5. Hope this helps some.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm glad the tahoes are better in some ways, thats how I got my K5. The previous owner said he didn't want to sell it but his wife made him buy a new 2001 Tahoe. So he gave me one heck of a deal on it. So if it weren't for them being better handling and more comfortable I'd probably still not a K5.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

16. 86blazin4x4

86blazin4x4 Registered Member

I have a 2000 Tahoe and an 86 K5....love them both but i wont take the Tahoe anywhere like i would the K5. I got the Tahoe because the wife didnt want the new baby riding around in the K5, and taking the K5 up to South Dakota to visit family is not as nice of a ride as the Tahoe. I guess i got the best of both worlds but the K5 rules my world

17. pecker

pecker Registered Member

Tahoes suck pecker!