Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2000lbs of Railroad ties vs. the F-250= F-250 lost..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, May 30, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Went out to the rail road tracks to hunt down some old rail road ties for my buddies retaining wall project. Loaded up 16 of them in the back of the truck. Plus about 200 spikes we found, the spare tire and misc. other [darn]. The way out required climbing a short 20', 40* or so dirt bank. While going up the ties slib back on the baedliner about 18", destroying my cheap ass ratchet strap. So, me, in my not think past the end of my nose ways, decided to make inirtia work for me this time. I just coasted a bit and hit the brakes to get the ties to slide back into place. I had no idea they'd go about 6" further than I wanted them too...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Managed to get it all pounded back into place...but I was PISSED OFF for a few hours. Then, I think the powers that be were smiling on me and taking pity- Was all done fixing the bed and bolting it back on, and was cleaning up. While moving the RTI ramp around, I smashed my finger between the ramp and the metal bucket of rail road spikes. I got instantly pissed...Took off down the driveway cussin, took out my frustrations on a can of WD-40 that was layin on the ground. Now, I was walkin from the back of my truck toward the front, and the door was open with the window down. My first swipe at the WD-40 missed, that pissed me off even more, so I really went gunnin for it on the next round. It sailed right through the open truck window and over the fence into the weeds. Didn't touch a thing. Missed the mirror too. :blink: I think I'm just gonna spend the rest of the day laying on the couch watchin tv. I don't think I can [darn] anything up that way. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ouch sounds like a bad day. Couches + TV is always a good calming activity... don't ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well,,,did you learn anything?

4. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Well,,,did you learn anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! Smart ass. [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

haha damn,

i need ot find about a dozen or dozen and half of those man, damn they hard as hell to find here i been loking for a few years ofr some so i can get a retaining wall back here behind the building its needs to be done badly

how did yo go about handling/loading them suckers anyways, they arent light,.

good luck

6. Zeus33rd

I'd imagine they're around 200lbs and 9' long ea depending on what kinda shape they're in. I had my bud with me, so it wasn't that difficult. Loading the very top row was all we had though. That was one row above whats shown in the pictures. I got lucky cause the railroad people musta just went through the area replacing old ties. There must be 4 or 500 of them in piles on the stretch of track we were on.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

If you weren't living out in God's country, I might be able to rustle up some sympathy. If I injur myself one more time trying to move around three Blazers in the side yard of a tract home, I will eat the barrel......... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. Zeus33rd

Gods country? Ha! Heh, Don't get me started on godly stuff. If ya wanna know how I feel, listen to George Carlin. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

heh, S'all good though, Wasn't lookin for sympathy. Just figured I could make ya'all laugh at my 'tardedness. After the WD-40 can went sailing through the window, my buddy and I started laughing soooo hard at the irony of it all...All the stress went out the window and I could finally laugh at it. The 30 mile drive home listening to the cab and bed rub together was a long one. Heh, I was seein red. Just waitin for the back window to explode too...It was bowed in almost as much as the bed, the only thing that saved it was the seal on the inside flexing out of the way. When they hit the cab, it pushed both us forward in our seats a good 2". Good to laugh about it now though. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

That's why God made BFH's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The ones I use here are the 9', 200 pound ones. Work pretty good for retaining walls. I'm building one right now.

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

We got piles of these old railroad ties lying around- Da heck do you mean by "retaining walls"?

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

LIRR is replacing the wood ones with concrete ties... Hey, can you cruise that f250 up here and help me go grab some while they still exist? Figure since you already have experience haulin them /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinkin! LIRR! Just thinking that myself! But what to do with them? anyone have any building plans?

14. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    We got piles of these old railroad ties lying around- Da heck do you mean by "retaining walls"?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a retaining wall..

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif