Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2001 2.5 leveling kit

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by FatBoyBlazer, Jan 13, 2002.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.hill4wd.com/>http://www.hill4wd.com/</a>
    has any one ever installed one of these gizmos....i wanna get one for my dads(mine[​IMG]) I plow with it and it feels like the tires are rubbing or some thing...so we were originaly gonna lift it like 4 inchs or so we just didn't wanna fork out 1500 bucks..so i saw the kit and i was wondering how hard that it would be to instal....i'm only 17..i did the lift on my 91 blazer....?

hola

2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

i wouldn't put it on my truck. the CV angles are pretty extreme. i'd just turn the tbars to level. if you want i can find you pics comparing a 1" tar crank and the hill kit.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

'94 K1500

3. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

that would be nice but will it interfear with the plow??? see if you could find those pics

hola

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

it won't interfere with the plow. the hill kit is just a modified set of torsion bar keys.

thepics of the hill kit aren't up anymore....should i run across them somewhere else, i'll post them.

'94 K1500

5. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Actually the hill kit is probably the better choice, because it just sets the t-bars a step up from the stock ones, so you will still have the factory torsion bolts settings, instead of having the bolts cranked all the way...

ive done alot of research about a leveling kit, and this is the only one i've seen, and from what i've read it seems to be the best out there...

if you crank the torsion bars, the top of the cam lever will bottom out against the crossmember channel...you also won't have clearance for adjustments...

there are quite a few ppl on the full size chevy forum that have the leveling kit, and they all love it....you might want to talk to a guy i met on there, his aol s/n is JCZ7100...he has the leveling kit and he really likes it too...

Mike Dee

6. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

the tbars arent the parts you have to worry about hurting, nor are the adjuster bolts or keys....its the CV joints and end links. the hill kit sets the CV joints and links at extreme angles.

<a target="_blank" href=http://forums.pickuptruck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi>http://forums.pickuptruck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi</a>
    the pics were in this link, but they no longer show up.

and my response to "i've yet to see excessive wear or problems with CV joints..." posts regarding the kit.....have they hit over 100k miles w/o any cv/end link problems ??? no. do their trucks have near that kinda mileage with, that kit in tact, and no trouble from frequenty used 4wd offroad ?? no

'94 K1500<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Shorts on 01/20/02 01:08 AM.</FONT></P>

7. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

I work where they make tons of CV's, and typical advise is these things aren't made to run at a constant angle greater than 25º or so. I'm working on getting a look at some prints so I'll be able to give a better idea than that but it's a good rule of thumb. [​IMG] They're just not designed for it, at least not the truck ones...

You could always upgrade to the heavy duty torsion bars, they're said to all be interchangable from one model to another. [​IMG] That'll compensate for the weight of the plow. You can level it out with the torsion bar crank.

Does it feel like the tires are rubbing or you know they are? Observe it. Check for where they might be rubbing. Frame, front of cab, front bumper, inner fender, etc...

Wouldn't a 91 blazer have still been a solid front axle? I could be wrong I guess... [​IMG] If it was, that'd be a completely different animal than a 2k1 truck.

The geometry of the thing is as follows.

When you have the plow on the front, the front suspension compresses a bit. You can safely crank up your torsion bars (without harming CV's, etc) to level it out. This is because the front suspension does compress under the weight of the plow. So theoretically when you get it sitting how it originally was before the plow (front end height) the CV's won't or shouldn't experience increased wear, since the height only went back up to stock and that's the only thing that changed... [​IMG] Hopefully that's able to be followed. [​IMG]

Tim