Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2001 5.3 knock

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Living Large, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Living Large

Living Large Registered Member

My wifes daily driver is a 2001 Tahoe with the 5.3. At start up when cold, a knock is heard. My dealer is telling me that it is because of the shortened piston skirt, and the roller lifters. Other vehicles do it in varying degrees of noise. The noise disappears on full warm up, the oil psi is great, no smoke or oil consumption, and great power. Do any of you have any experience or advise?

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

As per SI 2000, 12/'01.

Bullitin #01-06-01-022

Engine Knock on Cold Start
    2001-2002 Chev and GMC p/u with 6.0L

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit an engine knock noise that begins in the first several thousand miles of use. The knock noise is most often noticed during initial (cold) start-up and typically disappears as the engine warms up.

This noise may be caused by an interaction between the piston and cyl wall. GM Powertrain Engineering, and an analysis of engines returned with this condition, has cofirmed that the noise is not detrimental to performance, reliability, or durability of the engine. The noise does not have any effect on the longevity of any of the engine components.

Important
    At this time, replaceing the engine assembly or pistons will not eliminate this noise.

Please share the information found in this bullitn with customers who inquire about this condition. In the event they have additional questions or concerns, please advise them to contact Customer Assistance at the numbers listed below.

Chevroltt 1-800-222-1020
    GMC 1-800-462-8782
    Canada 1-800-263-3777

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but thats what I found. If you took it to a dealer, and made a complaint. The concern is now on record and G.M. should and will take care of you, in the event that something does happen, or the bullitin is updated.

3. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

My wifes 00 sub started that at 8-9000 miles. It now has 34000 on it still runs ok but I cringe when I have to sit & listen to it KNOCK until it warms up. Good luck they wont do jack sh@t about it. Just another quality gm product.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Good luck they wont do jack sh@t about it

[/ QUOTE ]

They (dealers) cant do jack [censored] about it, they would end up buying the engine themselfs.
    I wish I had something better, but as far as I know, the info above is current and standing.
    Something might have happend since, but I haven't heard of anything.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I wish I had something better, but as far as I know, the info above is current and standing.
    Something might have happend since, but I haven't heard of anything

[/ QUOTE ]

Twiz- as far as everyone else knows there is nothing newer than your TSB...(diesel page etc.)

for those of you complaining about the knock- here's my list on my $45,000 D/A- nasty front end rattle- tick tick tick tick tick when idleing...seat belts have been replaced due to excessive locking. hydroboost leaked all over my engine, inner fender- wore the paint off. (has been replaced now)...nasty shake at 42-46 mph. transmission went into limp mode at 22000 miles lost all power, very embarassing with a PSD next to ya at a light....the list can go on. BUT you know what I figured..........at least with my truck, the engine is brand new to GM, the transmission is brand new to GM. so they have some bugs to work out. If GM has noted they are aware of the problem- as they have with the knocking TSB, and they do come up with a fix- your covered. The only thing to do is to make sure your dealer knows YOU have it, and also call the 800 GM direct number- open a file on your vehicle and make sure THEY know YOU have it. That way- 50,000 miles from now, when they issue a fix (if they do) your covered.

Twiz- don't let the (*^*&amp;^&amp;*^&amp;*) that think it's YOUR fault YOU can't fix it get to ya....WE know the truth!
    Brandy

6. greenmountian

greenmountian Newbie

Have you tried a higher grade gas? My 95 Blazer does the same when someone puts lower octane in the tank.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I hope I didn't come across overly-defensive, that wasn't my intent.
    I was just tring to make the point that, the dealers have to do what the G.M. service bullitins says, if the dealer expects to have the warranty claim covered.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I really hate this board. I come on here to ask a question for a truck I don't even own, and I get sucked into other threads! LOL.

You piston slap guys seen this page? Looks like an ad, and in a way I guess it is: http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/gmpistonslap/index.html
    That sound clip is amazing to say the least. The beginning of it, not sure what the noise is, but later on, it certainly does sound like a diesel!

Wish you folks luck, I see GM is still doing nothing to keep/win new customers.

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Boy that guy is "ticked"!

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I've seen that "clip" before, and it is exactly what my truck sounds like. In all honesty, I think (with the Duramax anyway)....that the noise we can hear, is in EVERY diesel, Dodge, Ford etc.. however because our truck is so quiet to begin with, we can hear it....just happens that dodge, and ford have extreamly loud trucks, and you wouldn't be able to hear it.

All I know is that GM has me as a customer, and they won't lose me. I've had my share of problem rigs, but I've also had more that have never been back to the dealership for work. That says something. We run GM's at our company, and these trucks have some abuse! They keep on going, no problems etc. Had 1 PSD that we ended up taking a beating on when we got rid of it. But the darn truck couldn't keep up with the work load- so away it went!

Brandy

11. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Gas grade wont help this is not a detonation ping this is a "knock".

12. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

I fixed my knocking 2000 suburban yesterday, I went by the dealer when they were real busy &amp; traded that thing off. It was great I dont even think they started it up.
    Glad to see it go. Got a hell of a trade in &amp; 0% to boot.

Looks like the life cycle of gm's NEW vehicles is about 1 1/2 to 2 years if you dont use it much.

Fyi my 5.3 with 34k on it was louder than a diesel.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Your post kind of confuses me...my interpretation of your post seems to indicate you think we are talking about diesel engines, when in fact these are gas engines.

I know GM says its not "detrimental" to engine life, but I've never heard of piston slap being a good thing, or else forged pistons would be used exclusively in everything.

Noise is to be expected from diesels, heck, 22:1 compression or so has to be noisy, (and I'd bet forged pistons as well) but in a modern *gas* engine, you shouldn't be able to even hear that thing *run*

I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't some kind of recall yet, but now that I know about this "problem" I'll keep my ears peeled for new info on it, as I'm curious how it turns out.

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Wasn't trying to confuse anyone- that's why I said with my Duramax..... I understand you all are running gasser's.

The best info I can give you guys- is to call the 800 ## get a file started on your truck, with this info in it...and make sure regardless of what you've read about the tech's being unable to fix it-- -to take it into the dealership for that said problem, even if they can't fix it- its in the file, and 5000000000K miles from now if you finally have something happen as a result of it, your covered.

Brandy

15. Living Large

Living Large Registered Member

Thanks guys for all the info. I have talked to the dealer and have started the paper work trail just in case. All vehicles of the later generation seem to have the same noise at start up- but it still concerns me- BUT I would put this vehicle up against any of the other two U.S. brands for power, comfort, or resale value, GM will have another repeat customer in the near future.