Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2001 5.3 spark knock- BULLETIN!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by MudNurI, Jul 16, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I've made a new post- so this is seen by those concerned

found this at June 2002 GM TECH BULLETIN

02-06-04-023: Audible Spark Knock (Detonation) MIL Illuminated, DTC Po332 Set (Replace Rear Bank Knock Sensor and RTV Area Around Sensor ) 1998-2002 Chevrolet Camero, Corvette, Ponitac Firebird with 5.7L Engine (Vin G0Rpo Ls1), 1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Ulitilty Models with 4.8L, 5.3L, or 6.0L Engine (Vins V, T, Z, N, U0 RPO's Lr4, LM7, L59, Lo9, L04)

I'm not sure if it's a spark knock- or if it's another problem, haven't ever listened to your vehicles...

BUT check out
    GM Tech Site and go to the "tech tips" page- it has them all listed from WAY back when to present. Can help if your dealer can't.

My dealer wasn't aware of a specific fix for my steering column (new bearing kit)....until I called and told them it was released!

Some Service Manager's don't like us knowing more than they do, however most tech's will be happy you did some of the diagnostic work for them.

good luck
    Brandy /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Cool Tech Site.
    My Dad (DuneRunnersDad) says thanks. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Thanks Brandy................my wife's GMC AWD Safari Van has that problem...........dealership says there is currently NO fix for it on the 4.3L V-6. Says it's fine to drive it around detonating................ /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Thats not the same knock, what your hearing is detontation.

The older (I'll assume, since you didn't give a year) had that problem (pre '96). I've never heard of a fix for those (that I can remember off-hand). It seems like it's common among the Astros/Safaris, for someo-dd resson the S10s and P/Us don't have it, or atleast as not as bad. It could be because of the van configuration, I'm not sure.

Now that these engines have some miles on them, I haven't seen anything un-usual happeing with them (all though, once they are out of warranty, I do not see them much anyway) The few I have seen replaced, are an odd-sort of problems.
    Nothing really common among them.

Not much, but thats all I know.

If it were me, I think I would run some good gas through it every so-often (High oct' Chevron) and get the chambers cleaned with an engine 'vac, if you are worried about it.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Twiz, it is a 2001 van with 8K miles................brand new it detonated. Dealership said it is a problem with many 4.3L motors but no 'fix'. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

2001 !??!

Thats odd. If it is a detontaion problem, it should set a miss-fire code (when in closed loop).
    After '96 all vehivcals sold in the U.S. have to be OBDII certified, one of the On Board Diagnostics is detecting miss-fires. On some, they use two sensors. One sensor is the Crank-shaft Position Sensor, the other is a Cam-shaft Position Sensor. If a cyl fails to fire, it will slow down the crank-shaft slightly, in relattion to the cam-shaft. Thus setting off a miss-fire code and it will even indicate which cyl or cyls had a miss-fire.
    The first gen' OBDIIs ('96-'97s) were extreamly sensitive to setting and storeing miss-fire codes (at least it seemed to be for a-time). I remember some of them setting codes right off the transport, due to A/F ratio changes and everything "takeing a seat" (I.E. - No Problems Found). I think they up-dated the soft-wear to soften up the tollerances about mid-year in '97. (but don't hold me to that)

Not quite done yet.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    I would also suspect it could be the fuel blend used in your state or even the station you commonly use. (I have not noticed any detontation problems with Astros/Safaris here in my state, or atleast not enough to suspect a problem). Fuel blend is changed, according to emmisions regulations and climate through-out the year. In some cases it may cause some kind of od-ball problems.

Try changeing gassoline companys (Chevron is what I would reccomend). See if that has any impact on the noise you are hearing. (possibly up-grade to a higher octane if the situation continues)

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

-K-
    Slight-up date, kinda.

Detonation will NOT set off a miss-fire code, because it doesn't slow the crank down enough to be detected.
    There goes that theory,
    I checked a 2001 sub *with a 5.3, totaly different than a 4.3* owners manual and it requests no-less than 87 octane. So, check the owners manual and see what it says.

All-so,
    For those with the 5.3/6.0 knock,
    Keep an ear out for a new up-dated bulletin.

I would really like it if you guys would ask questions about something I know...(anything but drivability stuff!)
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I would really like it if you guys would ask questions about something I know...(

[/ QUOTE ]

WHY can't I find a suburban without barn doors??? that has NOTHING to do with drivability. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif