Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2001 GMC ticking - UPDATED -

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by mud390, May 22, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

My 2001 GMC 1/2 ton with a 4.8 V8 has a ticking noise under heavy load from the driver side. Its very audible in the truck the windows down or up. It almost sounds like a valve tick or a REALLY loud exhaust tick. I've heard that it might actually be a leak from the intake manifold though. Anyone have any experience with this problem? Know the fix? The dealership was absolutely no help! Thanks!

Well, I took it in to the dealership for a second time about 4 days ago. They told me my truck had a spark knock. When the truck is under a load, its not burning all the gas in the cylider. That is what is causing the tick. They told me there was nothing that could be done because they couldn't advance the timing to help correct (me -> band-aid) the problem. They sent me on my merry way with this newfound information and nothing fixed. I think there is more too it. I guess I'll find out when the engine blows up. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Kris

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Re: 2001 GMC ticking

might be the GM piston slap also...

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Only under load?

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thats only when I can hear it anyhow. Heavy load, like climbing a hill just before it downshifts or right after it shifts to overdrive and I have to put my foot in it. Its worst on hill climbs before it downshifts though. Auto tranny...sorry. I forgot to mention that.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds like an exhaust leak at the manifolds, ever any odors in teh cab? And are you sure its not at higher rpms? If you downshift on hills your RPMs will go up.

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thats the funny thing, no exhaust smell. The ticking occurs when climbing hills, no problem while descending. A buddy of mine had a 2002 with a 5.3 and his does the same thing. No exhaust smell. Ticks under load. Its about to drive me up the wall. The tick is so loud that I can hear it over my exhaust. (Flow single in dual out, dumps before the axle)

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

See if your O2 sensors have the loose washers on the top of them. I had a simular problem on my '00 and they replaced all 4 O2 sensors. I don't think thats your problem but its a start.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wow 4 o2 sensors?

9. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

WOW!! Hope it was covered and you didn't have pay for that! I'll do that this weekend. Thanks for the info. Never thought to look there.

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

It was covered thank god. I think they actually replaced the entire y-pipe.

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Try running the tank low and filler' up with high octane Chevron gas.

If it makes a difference, than thats the problem - poor quality fuel.

12. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I just got done doing a road trip to Georgia.....700 miles each way. I filled up using regular, mid, and premium. I would let the tank get down to almost empty before I filled up. Same crap. I think the dealership gave me the run-around. Now my truck is out of warrantee, so I have to foot the bill. I'm gonna run my truck to empty and then fill it with premium and injector cleaner and see what happens. Thanks for all the help!

Kris