Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2001 Tahoe "Service 4WD" message on dash

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by DuneRunner, Apr 5, 2002.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

2001 Tahoe \"Service 4WD\" message on dash

Hi guys- This message popped uo three times today. I turned off the car, started it back up, tested all the 4WD gears. Everthing OK. 50 miles later it came back on. Turned the car off. OK. 50 miles later it came back on. This time I disconnected battery for 10 minutes then called it a night. I'll check it tomorrow and see whats up. Anyone ever have this problem? Thanks, DuneRunnersDad

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Re: 2001 Tahoe \"Service 4WD\" message on dash

Dunerunner-

this has been brought up at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.thedieselpage.com>www.thedieselpage.com</a>.... I believe it was just a reflash that fixed it. I just went there to see if I can find the thread, but the site must be down, because its timing out..

do you have a rattle in your front end? Im just keeping notes here on the steering shaft rattle, to see if its only the 2500 HD's that have it.

good luck
    Brandy

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Sorry not much help with the "Service 4WD" light, could be the actuator or modual. But, I don't deal with that stuff much. -Kinda heavy-liner area.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The intermidiate steering shaft rattle is common on all Silverados. Insufficiant lubrication from the factory, or the splines wearing and takeing a seat. In either case, the end result is exsesive lash in the steering shaft link, and in some conditions will result in a rattle.

G.M. has released a repair kit. Basicaly, remove the steering shaft, and pack it with a very thick graphite grease.

This repair looks like it is going to do-it as I haven't had to repair a intermidiate steering shaft twice.

5. DuneRunnersDad

DuneRunnersDad Registered Member

I fired it up this morning and let it run for 5 minutes....No Message. Drove it 20 miles.....No Message. Did some very minor 4 wheeling.....No Message.
    Hope the "Battery Disconnect" fix solved the problem.
    Steering has no rattle so far (15K).

DuneRunnersDad

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Hey Twiztid-

listen to this-
    before our road trip, they tried to fix it with that crappy grease - worked great for about 1500 miles, then its back.
    John brought it to the dealer to complain again. Our service manager didn't believe him, since we are the first to bring it back in.... had our mechanic go with John, sure enough theres the rattle.

so the mechanic says to john "seems you really do have the rattle, I'll order the new shaft today, should be here Tuesday...." so john is pretty leary- since you would have thought after all the bitching, and how many times I had called GM directly to complain, we would have gotten the new shaft right when it came out... so he tells the mechanic how I have called GM, and etc. etc... the mechanic says "we are suppose to use the grease first, and if that doesnt work THEN replace the shaft."

funniest part of this entire thing- our 99 had an ACTUAL GM RECALL on the SAME EXACT problem... I would have thought they would have just used the new ones on our truck, instead of the crappy ones. Im waiting for it to go in, to finally get the part ## of the "new shaft" to be able to compare it with the old ##.. maybe its still the old one?

I think the reason I have the noise again is that we have put almost 7500 miles on it in 3 weeks, which is a lotmore than most people. they may all end up rattling again, just give them time.

Brandy

twiz- are you a GM mechanic ? if you are- can you see if the seat belt retractors are REALLY on back order for a 2001 H2500 HD??? Im really getting pissed about that.....they lock when they are not suppose to and the only way to unlock them is to release it and go all the way back to the door, then put it back on, not good with 2 kids in the back seat! thx!

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure of the question your asking, but as far as the intermidiate steering shaft problems are concerend.

The grease seams to work for me. I haven't seen one in for the same rattle twice. Allthough, that doesn't mean it's not going to happen, it just hasn't happend so-far.
    In my area, we have alot of retiries, some of our customers pack on the miles towing traliors, long-road trips and such. Again, I personaly haven't seen them come in with the same problem twice.

As far as I know, the steeering shafts have not been redesigned.
    So, the old part number might be an exact match to the new part number, just not worn. I would think the new shafts are correctly greased to start with tho' and should be a permanent fix for your truck. (I hope)

It would not suprize me to find seat-belt retractors on nat'back-order. Seat-belts have allways been Special-Order-Parts, as they are vehicle specific. Meaning, each belt is made for a specific option package (body-style, seating options, intirior optins, color, ect...) If there is a large and sudden demand for a part, it will deplete the storage quickly and send the part into a nat'back-order, even more-so with a part that is so vehicle specific like seat belts.
    Also, I think there are some extra steps necessary for seat belts to be made. Probably some kind of "safty" testing, or something. Due to the obvious liability issues invloved with seat-belts.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

twiz- are you a GM mechanic ?

<hr></blockquote>
    Maybe.... deppends on if your going to beat me up.

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

LOL naaaaa- I love our new truck even with the quarks it has. The way I look at it, its a new engine, new tranny, its going to have some bugs to work out... I'll deal with those issues... the ones that bother me are the safety issues. I know GM keeps saying that the steering shaft is no big deal, not a safety issue etc.. Okay I buy it.. but my seat belts sure the hell are a safety issue! I explained to my service manager that if I am in an accident prior to the new ones being installed, the first call he receives the next morning will be from my lawyer... I asked him to go out on the lot- to some truck thats just sitting there. by the way- they have 8 of them on the lot, with the seat belts I need, and take the retractors from one of them..put them in mine, and when the new ones come in then replace the lot truck... of course, since he kept telling me it was my problem, not a company wide problem, not a safety issue etc.. he wouldn't do it, but I think I made my point!

There are a few people on the diesel page, that have had the grease job and it hasn't fixed the rattle... it worked same as our, for about 1500 miles, then its come back. As long as the thing doesnt fail when I"m doing 80 on the highway, its okay LOL

thanks!
    Brandy

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Depending on the situation, we pull parts from trucks on the lot, sometimes. Then install the S.O.P. parts onto the truck we swiped 'em from. I'm not sure why your dealer won't do that for you. Maybe a liability thing, or maybe thier sales department doesn't want their invntory being raded.

Don't worry about the steering shaft going out. It's not that kind of problem. It's just a little bit of lash between the in-put shaft and the sleave. Its really a very small amount, but the rattle gets amplified through the steering colum and makes it sound/feel like it's really bad.

10. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

"Service 4WD" light never came back on since I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Revisited the 125 mile trip backwards today. Guess this was the fix.

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

We'll see...../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

hahahha!!! you sound like me...

John comes home says Rick (the mechanic) put some grease crap in the shaft GM says thats the fix

me- WE'LL SEE

hahahahahaha

Brandy