Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2001 Tahoe slow to start?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joe12b, Feb 7, 2007.

1. joe12b

joe12b Newbie

Hey guys quick diagnostic question. On a recent trip to MA (overnight temps around 10degF) the truck would not start in the AM. I had just under 1/4 tank of gas and had just replaced the battery. It was cranking so wasn't the starter, not battery, thought it might be a frozen gas line, etc due to the cold temps and low gas in the tank? Tried it later in the day and got it to turn over by cycling the key to "on" position several times to bring up a little extra fuel. Once started had a local shop run a scan and they found nothing. Probably not fuel pump, because I've driven since with no problem or sputtering. However truck is still slow to start on cold mornings, takes two cranks and once turns over it sputters for a second before running smooth. Once starts runs fine and if turned off and restarted, runs fine. Any ideas what this could be?

2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

not to sure about the cold, but when a truck does that here, it is usually a bad fuel peump, what happens is the check valve in the fuel pump goes bad, and when it sits for a long period of time, i.e. overnight, the gas lines drain back to the tank, and when you go to start it and cranking, the pump can't fill the lines because the injectors are firing, which is why you have to cycle the key to start it.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Just happened to my moms 99 Suburban. Ended up being the $100 fuel pressure regulator. Very simple to replace, just don't buy the replacement from the auto parts store get it from the dealer. I went through 3 of the auto parts store ones in a week.

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It most definitely is the fuel pressure regulator. I replaced mine when it started doing that. It is very easy to replace. I paid $27 for one over the parts counter at the dealership I work at.

I am posting some pics for you. the first is the driverside with a screw driver pointing at the regulator. 2nd is a closeup of the offending part. the metal clip is all that holds it on. pop it off and disconnect the vacumn line. pull the regulator out and install the new one.

fuel 001.jpg

fuel 002.jpg

5. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

In my tahoe and everyone I know that has one around that year, has that samething when the tank is under 1/4 tank. Alot of people on z71tahoes.com had the samething when under 1/4 tank of fuel. So i think its just from being low, or does it do it all the time?

6. joe12b

joe12b Newbie

Fuel pressure regulator may be worth trying...good tip guys. Hey Chas....I'm having a problem opening the jpg images from the website. Its telling me I don't have permission to view them...they're coming up as an html. Could you email them directly to me...I'd really appreciate it. joe12b@comcast.net Thanks!!!

7. gmc4cw

I sent them. You can't view them on here unless you are a paid member.

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the pics

9. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

I agree... fuel pressure regulator. Same symptoms and same fix for my buddy's S10 and for my Impala a few years ago.

10. joe12b

joe12b Newbie

Haven't received the pictures for some reason?? joe12b@comcast.net.
    If it is in fact a fuel pressure regulator, would I have symptons when driving or only on start up? Currently I've only experienced issues while starting.

11. gmc4cw

only on startup after it has sat for awhile. the pressure causes fuel to leak into the intake and basically flood the engine.

I sent the pics. I'll check them.