Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2001 Z71 Silverado

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 87K54WD, Dec 19, 2001.

1. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

I have a 2001 Z71 with the 5.3L V8. I changed my oil for the first time at 2,000 miles with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. My wife called me today at work and said that the "change oil" message came on the dash. The truck only has about 4,000 miles now. A new AC Delco oil filter was replaced at the same time with the oil. What gives? Is there some kind of reset button I have to push after changing the oil. I haven't looked at the truck yet but I worried as heck now. I hoping there is just some kind of reset button and that the oil is not already dirty after 2,000 miles!?!?

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

yes there is a way to reset the light.my dad has a 2000 silverado and he told me about it,but i cant remember haw to reset it.look in your manual.its set to go off at a mileage interval,not when the oils dirty.3car

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

There is a reset button, it has to do with your brake pedal- turn the key to the on position, and pump the brakes I think 3 times- but I cant remember off hand- its not a big deal- It should come on when your truck is about 6500 miles (give or take) because you changed the oil yourself, and were not aware of the idiot light, you didn't reset it- from now on, just remember when you change the oil- reset the idiot light-

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

4. xchevyxtc

xchevyxtc Registered Member

i just read the manual and you have to turn the key to the run position with the engine off and then push the accelerator three times within 5 seconds...its in the manual i just did it to my 2001 suburban...hope this helps

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

thats right its the gas pedal NOT the brake pedal LOL I knew it was something 3 times-- LOL

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The oil change thing is tiyed in to the hour meter not the speedo, If you dont reset it when you change the oil it wont know you did.

72 Blazer 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205, 6 bolt FF14
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4