Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2002-2003 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 w/ Duramax

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by fr8train, Sep 26, 2002.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Anyone own one? Any complaints, other than the Avalanche front end? How does the split function heat/air handle? Is XM really worth getting? Any specific issues with the Duramax?

2. Joey D

Joey D Registered Member

I don't own one, don't like the front end change and don't like the look of the XM antenna.
    Besides those things it is a very ggod package. There have been some drivablity updates for the computer,
    but nothing major. I have seen a cracked block on another site and a few head gasket issues but very good
    product release with minimul defects. The aftermarket is also making headway in the HP dept.
    There is a new box out that offers 435RWHP and 485RWHP with a new intake and exhaust.
    Good luck if you buy and check out The Diesel Page for more info.

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I have yet to drive a '03.
    And have only driven a-few D/Maxs (they keep getting sold before I get a chance to drive 'em- gawd darn it...)

Most of the H/Ds go over to the Heavy-liners. I try to stay on top of what they are fixing/seeing, - but some of it slips by. (I have my own job to do)

It looks to me that most of the "problems" have been solved with the D/Max and Allisons.
    At first, the Allisons were haveing problems, mostly (if not all) eletrical. I haven't seen one out for months now.
    The only typlical problems I saw with the D/Max was Hydro-Boost related (leaks) and some fuel problems (leaks or something ???). Again, it looks like they have been up-dated in production and I haven't noticed any-where close to as meny problems with them as I did at first.

The "head-gasket" leak is hookey B.S., rumors and nothing more. (don't believe everthing you read over the net!!!!!)

Just to bring the point home: D-maxes are HOT, they sell like crazy. Yet, the Heavy-Liners run out of work by mid-afternoon. You NEVER saw those guys standing around 4 or 5 years ago...
    G.M. is tring to engineer us out of business, and they are doing a pretty good job of it.

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

2002 does NOT have the avalance front end. that started in 2003, as with the anteana

our 2001 is one of the best GM trucks we have owned, we have had some problems- leaking hydroboost, shift busyness, front end rattle, tick tick here, but those are all gone. Everything complained about has been corrected. (numerous dealer trips requried)... we will be buying an '03 probably in the spring...... were considering the 8.1/A but I'm kind of partial to the Duramax now.

wish they had a Duramax with the Allison available on a Suburban- I'd be the first in line.

Brandy

5. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Hey brandy, how is the new suburban?

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

"wish they had a Duramax with the Allison available on a Suburban- I'd be the first in line."
    Amen to that! I've been forced to call, write the General!
    And go look at the F.O.R.Ds...................................sssshshhshhhhhhhh! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

HA- the excellent deal the salesman and I had going via email came to a head when he would not give me the invoice sheet from GM directly- I had gone to carprice.com and found the invoice price- his was about $800 over what carprice had said it should be- I trusted him, but wanted to see it on paper..

We're back in the market. Found 2 99's without barn doors YEAH! but the stealership wants about $3500 more than they are worth.

still looking........maybe by the time I find one- the D/A will be an option, /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Brandy

8. bigbadburb

bigbadburb 1/2 ton status

i have a 02 hd max/allison with 25,000 miles. purchased new in 0ctober 01 I love it. I plan on lifting it within a year with a sfa conversion with a hp 60 for several reasons. 1 was i have already owned a lifted ifs truck and all in all it was ok besides some ball joint wearing out a little sooner than i would have liked. Also i want to put exaust on it and maybe a edge box, just because there is never enought power and cause its right there for the taking without doing a whole lot