Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2002 3/4 ton SF axle worth anything???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Jun 21, 2006.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Have a friend who just swapped a junkyard rear end into a 2002 3/4 ton pickup--original axle was toast,gears and bearings feel rough and lumpy when turned by hand,and it was howling for quite a while before the owner decided he'd better do something before it went competely..

I can get it for scrap,but before I do,I was wondering if its worth anything,being an SF and disc brake,and so late model (cost 800 bucks for the boneyard replacement one!:eek1: ).....it will bring about 20 bucks at the scrapyard...should I get it,keep it,or toss it???....:confused:

I just got a 97 S10 bed and bedliner from his own personal truck too--dented all to hell,but NO rust whatsoever!..I might make it into a trailer rather than scrap it just yet,since it doesn't weigh much,and will only bring 10-15 bucks......he lucked out and found a nice bed,identical color,for only 200 bucks,WITH a duraliner in it!...wish I had his luck!..:crazy:

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Should be a 14SF axle. Would make a great axle for 38-40's and smaller tires.. Strong than a 10bolt and 12bolt.. Or you could sell the factory disc set-up.. Um, I mean send it to me for the cost of shipping since the brakes aren't worth anything! ;) :haha:

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

debating...

Well,I can take it for free if I care to...my back is much too sore to lift it today though(spent all day yesterday riveting patches over rot holes on my moms Caravan,and I'm ready for traction!)..--if its still in his scrap pile tonight or tomorrow,I might take it...crackheads with pickups stop there about every day looking for something to cash in,(new kind of" junkies??")...so it might be gone already!..:doah:

I thought this axle looked WAY wider than the SF I had in my 74 K20 from an 86 K20...I thought it was a van axle at first...maybe the late model trucks ARE wider than the "old" ones??....anyway,I'm no expert on later stuff,didn't know if the disc brakes could be used on older axles..this one had drum style E-brakes too....:crazy:

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sould be able to swap the brakes. And I do believe the newer axles(IFS stuff) are wider.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

new axles are same width as d60 front aka van width