Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2003 dodge 1500 towing question

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 5trucks, Apr 22, 2007.

1. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of moving from az to around austin texas. I have a 77 blazer ( one pictured below ) and i was wondering if my truck could make the trip without blowing anything up? It's about 1350 miles. It came with a factory tow package with tranny cooler and all that. It has a 360 motor. Nothing special about the motor except it has a 2 chamber flowmaster exhaust system and a k&n. Not going to be driving faster than 65mph but if it aint gonna do it then i'll try to upgrade.

153540162_505110323_0[1].jpg

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

extended cab? short bed or long?

For one tow i wouldnt be worried... wheelbase is your friend though

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't have any problems towing your K5 with that rig. Keep the trans in Drive (not OD) unless you're at speed on flat ground. Definately going to want some good trailer brakes, but I think that goes without saying. If it's a Reg Cab Shortbed you'll have to be a little more careful, but if it's got a longer wheelbase you shouldn't have any issues. Hook it up and take it for a tow locally to see how it does before you do the long trip. May have to play around with the location of the K5 on your trailer to get the weight right.

Shouldn't have to cross any major grades, but don't be afraid to turn the hazards on and take the hills at low speeds.

A good Tekonsha (or similar) brake controller, and some overload airbags would make the trip easier, too. A tune up and transmission service wont hurt, either.

Lots of people towing that much and more with 1/2 ton trucks. Your 03 is rated for the weight.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Dodges dont have a (D) and (OD) its (D)(2)(1). On a four speed tranny you cant select 2. Thats what a tow/haul mode is for. I know my truck, with a 4.7 is rate at 6,000 lbs depending on his setup it may not have enough rating. Although it should tow it fine, it very well may not be rated to tow that much.

5. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

I can push a button on my column shifter and it turns off the overdrive. (big orange idiot light says overdrive off) The display doesn't say od though. It says D21.