Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2004 locker question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clarkjw24, Mar 7, 2005.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What do I need to lock the rear and limited slip in the front of an 2004 Silverado. It looks like the rear is a 10bolt. Are they still 30 spline. What's the deal and the difficulty of installing one in the front of an IFS truck? This is for a friend. He was really upset when I sat him down and explained to him that he didn't have a 4wd truck just one wheel in the front and rear.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Does he really need a locker in his '04 truck?

I believe the rear 10-bolt still uses the same 30-spline stuff that has been around for years but you will probably want to double-check. I also don't believe there is anything available for the front axle.......at least there didn't use to be any locker or anything available.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You might be surprised, I know they make aussie lockers for a bunch of IFS stuff, and I bet there are many others who support IFS as well (IFS is getting so abundant, the market is catching up).

4. clarkjw24

No he doesn't "need" a 4 wheel drive truck but I'm getting tired of pulling him out every weekend. Sad part is he mostly getting stuck in dead sand.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Definitely check the 10 bolt stuff...the housing has been changed. It may be purely cosmetic, but typically those type of changes indicate *something* internally has been changed.

6. clarkjw24

anybody know anything else about this? I can't believe that no one on here has locked an IFS truck.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nothing has changed internally. A 10 bolt is still 30 spline and still uses the same parts, minus a few bearings here and there.

I'm not familiar with what is available for a 1/2 ton front IFS as far as traction devices. I don't think there is anything for it. The bigger IFS has an ARB available. The 8.25 *might*.

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Nothing is available for the 1/2 ton GM IFS.

9. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

So, I could get an ARB for the IFS on the YukonXL maybe? It's a 3/4 ton. Also, that fricking rear limited slip that's in it does nothing. Lastly, I would like to quote Spicoli. "My dad's a television repairman, he's got an awesome set of tools, I can fix it." That was after he wrecked Jefferson's Camaro and he was talking to his little brother, who, Rat say's "is a good looking kid.".

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As far as I know GM is still using the gov-lock. It's funny, go check out eaton's web site, they now call the gov-lock "G80" (GM's RPO code for traction aiding rear diff) there. :)

If he's already broken it, definitely going to want to get something different.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Lock rite makes No Slip lockers for the 10 and 14 bolt front axle on IFS trucks. Problem tho I think is after 2000 GM went to a full time 4x4 system on many trucks Cant use a locker on the front if you have full time 4x4. So unless you have locking hubs or the old style IFS axle disconnect. You should not run a locker in the front.