Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2004 Z71 wheel bearing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Elevator Man, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

The wheel bearing went out on my truck today. It's on the driverside front. My question, is the bearing assembly and the CV joint all one peice or can I just buy the bearing? I need to fix it pretty quick my Blazer isn't very easy on the pocket book to drive every day to work!!!

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IIRC it should be a hub/bearing assembly.

The CV shaft will come loose from the hub once the nut is taken off.

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

If its similar to the 94 generation, i just tore into one today. CV is splined, and slides out of the hub/bearing assembly. The bearing is a sealed unit, just not sure how it is removed. Shouldnt' be too hard, just rent the hub socket at kragen.

4. Elevator Man

Any Idea how much the bearing assembly costs?

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The hub/bearing assebly will remove by (can't remember if it's 3 or 4 bolts) from the back side of the knuckle. The hub/bearing assembly isn't cheap IIRC. Once it is off then you will still need to press the wheel studs and swap over the rotor, (not sure what year) but the later ones had an outboard mounted rotor so this wouldn't apply to you.

6. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i just replaced them both in my 04 2500 4x4 they were 220.00 a piece from napa that was my cost i have an account with them / they listed for over 370.00 apiece :doah: you have to buy it as an assembly its alot easier than trying to find just the bearing itself and pressing it in and out.

7. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

I dont remember how much they set me back but they werent cheap. I replaced one of my cv shafts and i remember it was cheaper than the bearing assemblies (the shaft was 125 or so with the core). Good luck removing the axle nut its on there real good, and you need like a 36 MM axle socket as well...that cost me i think another 12 bucks or so.

8. Elevator Man

$187 later and problem solved, axel nut is a 36mm. Thanx for all the help bros. really easy fix only took about and 1.5 hour and that included geting the parts!!!!