Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2007 tundra

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by g_mo, Jan 9, 2007.

1. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

i went to a 2007 toyota tundra launch today. pretty impressive truck. i am not to partial to the styling of the new truck, but man does that thing have some balls. we got to drive the new tundra, nissan titan, new silverado vortec max, hemi ram, and f150 with 5.4 loaded and unloaded. when it comes to gas motors, none of the others even compare in power. there were definetly other areas where the tundra excels, but in my opinion exterior appearance is not one of them.

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

"in another 5 years they will own the 1/2 ton truck market."

It'll be just like auto's. The US makers think they are invincible.

Ask anybody how they like their Toyota.

3. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

they will probably own more than the 1/2 ton market. this new tundra starts crossing the line into 3/4 ton market short of having a diesel.

4. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

interior is still kinda ugly to me..i dont think that exterior will ever grow on me either...except for that one at sema, a red one reg cab lowered and stuff..looked decent

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I was just looking at toyotas site. Does that thing really have a 10.5" (14ff size) rearend? Is it actually a ff or is it a sf?

And I like that chevy is now using a fully boxed frame on the new half ton. I just dont see why they downgraded the 6.0 liter. The truck motor has 300 hp and 360 ft/lbs of torque at 4000 rpm. The LS2 6.0 found in the vette and gto and soon camaro produces 400hp and 400 ft/lbs at only 4400 rpm. 400 rpm's higher doesnt seem bad for a truck...especially with 40 more ft/lbs. What gives?:dunno:
    -Harrison

7. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

They didn't downgrade anything, it's a completely different motor. The truck motor has an iron block and is rated at right around 370HP and 400FT/LBS.

I have a hard time believing that Toyota 5.7 is stronger than the LQ9(6.0)

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I didnt know it was a completley different motor. Thanks for clearing that up.

Why does chevy's site list the 6.0 vortec motor available in the trucks as having only 300 hp @ 4400 rpm's and 360 ft/lbs at 4000 rpm's?
    -Harrison

9. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

That's the LQ4, it's a lower compression version of the LQ9 available in the Denali, Escalade and 1/2 ton trucks since 06. They're both pretty underrated engines.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Gotcha. Chevy needs to update their site.:doah:

Still...nothing beats the LBZ:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
    -Harrison

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Despite how ugly i think it is, we are considering trading in our '05 double cab for one of the new ones with the 5.7. 381hp, and 401 ft/lbs of torque would be welcome over the 283hp and 323 ft/lbs of torque in our '05.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

absolutely disqusting. its sad how far it went downhill from the '06. my buddy has a 4x4 Darrell Waltrip edition. i'd drive that truck in a heartbeat.

13. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

I won't even look at the Toyota unless they put a diesel in it.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Diesel Tundras should be seen in 2009. Toyota sells many diesel powered vehicles overseas. Toyota and Isuzu are working together to develop an engine that will meet our outragous anti diesel EPA specs. If it wasn't for the EPA basicly regulating diesel engines out of existance We would have diesel cars and trucks all over the place like the rest of the world.
    I dont think even the VW TD meets the new EPA laws anymore. VW has no TD model small cars for 2007.
    Its going to be a few years till the auto makers get their engines cleaner. When they do I think diesel will make a big comeback.

And yeah I wish the Tundras werent so ugly. Toyota trucks always looked good with nice clean lines. I dont know why they ruined the looks of the Tundra and made it look like a dodge and join the Butt ugly truck club.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  15. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i think the big 2.5 3/4 - 1 tons diesels are ready for the new standards..i dont know about ford or dodge, but i heard for gm the duramax is gonna carry a bigger price because of the extra cleaning junk, and MB has the only diesel rdy for a car i think

16. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

The new Duramax, Powerjoke, and Cummins are all compliant. All '07s and newer must meet Tier II ultra low sulfer diesel standards. MB has a couple engines ready for the U.S. market and will use on in the new Jeep Grand Cherokee this year. Volkswagen is bringing in a new diesel later this year that will be compiant as Honda has one coming next year. The more complex egrs and particulate traps will make these more expensive.

17. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

those things are ugly

18. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I can't help it I'm just a Chevy guy. I know the Yota's are quality vehicles but I just can't do it. I'm sure I'll be forced to one day as Yota will take over the world and GM, Ferd, and Dodge will be reduced to "classics" and things of the past like a Dusenburgh (sp?), and Studebaker (sp?). :what:

19. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm a Chevy guy too, and I've bitched at the GM guys at the auto shows about all kinds of stuff. From design to throwing the latest do-dad in there to get the bling bling crowd looking, and then they have problems with it because it wasn't reliable enough before they put it in the vehicle. When the Avalanche first came out with that F*^$ed up front grill and all the plastic, I thought they couldn't be serious about making this thing look like this. HIs response was "well if you don't like it now, you'll love it in a couple years, our reseach shows that it has to grow on you", .........not this time pal. Thats the biggest problem with the American makers....they have made great strides, but until the quality and reliability meet or exceed the Toyota, Honda, etc. they WILL continue to lose market share.
    I remember in the 70's when GM snuffed its nose at these "imports" and had ~ 50% market share for they're products, and now its down to ~27%.
    I wonder who is laughing now.

20. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Toyota makes a great truck, but have you been to a dealer? They don't want to deal. If you don't want to pay list, then walk. Even if they are offering some sort of deal, they still have an attitude. Want a base model? Good luck finding one. Same with Honda. GM has made good strides, and their full size trucks have always been their strong point. My '07 Silverado drives as good as any Tundra. Will it hold up as well? Time will tell, but I think it will be close. The new GM trucks are light years ahead of the earlier plastic interior IFS trucks, and I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on the 88-98 style trucks. I would have considered a Tundra- but one comparable to my Silverado would have been $7K+ more.

The Titan is not as great of a truck as many people think, a Dana 44 rear in a rig with 9K lb towing capacity?

That being said, I've spent a lot of time in a '03 Tundra 4x4, with the 4.7/ 4 speed auto, and it was like driving a Lexus 4x4. I drove that truck hard, and it still got 16 mpg in stop and go traffic.