Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 4x4Low not working

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chalet2506, Sep 12, 2006.

1. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Let me say that I knew nothing about transfer cases til I bought this truck. 76'K5 400sb / 350 / np203. When I bought it I'm about a 90% sure the po said that it had a part time kit installed and it does have Warn locking hubs. At the time I didn't know what he was talking about. Anyway, went offroading and climbed some hills a couple of weeks ago and 4 High worked great, but for some reason my front wheels weren't powered when I had it in 4Low. Is that possible, and if so what might be the cause?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it has a part time kit the shift pattern is completely different to a full time pattern. A search should dig it up or PM Muddytaz, I think he's posted the pattern before but it should show up in a search easy.

3. chalet2506

From what I've gathered checkin out old threads, all the way up towards the dash should be 4Low with a kit, or Low Lock without the kit. Either way, the front wheels ought to have juice. And the shifter is definetely shifting, so I'm guessing this has to be an internal gear gone in the t-case or something of that nature.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Without a part-time kit in the transfer case, it's

Lo LOC (no front-to-rear diff) farthest forward towards the floor
    Lo (differential between front-and-back)
    N
    Hi
    Hi LOC / farthest back towards the driver

With a part-time kit in the t-case, it's

4 Lo
    2 Lo
    N
    2 Hi
    4 Hi

5. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

odds are the shifter has a bunch of dirt built up inside it, and its just not moving far enough to get into the forward most position. Even after I cleaned my 203 shifter up, I still use my foot to kick it into 4low.

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

^this is how it works after it gets worn enough. with the 203 i used to have, once i shed my reservations about kicking it when necessary, i never went without 4 low IMO

7. chalet2506

10-4. Sounds a lot better than pullin it out and rebuildin it. I'll try kickin the hell out iof it next time.

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

worst comes to worst i suppose you could buy the ORD shifter kit for the 203. im sure its nice, but im not 100% if i could justify the price.

9. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

203 linkage

Try readjusting your linkage, mine was out of allignment and would not allow me to get it into LoLoc either until I adjusted it.

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Go buy a can of wd 40 and spray it in the shifter mechanism I have seen quite a few 203s where the shifter was to blame

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Mine started popping out of 4-low, so I took a look at things. The shifter was 100% adjusted correctly. When I disconnected the linkage, the transfer case would stay in 4-wheel drive no problem. The shifter, however, would try to spring back out of 4 wheel drive (low or high). It is worse in 4 low than 4 high.

Something in the shifter is causing it to spring back out of 4-low (in mine). I sprayed 1/2 a can of WD40 in it, but to no avail.

I have to try the "kicking the %^# out of it" method. The ORD shifter is nice, but I'm waiting to triple stick it before I buy a shifter.

12. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

2 different trucks - both 203's - both had shifter problems. The only problem - was dried out parts. The linkage was adjusted properly.

Between the two, after spraying the mud and crud out with water then card cleaner, I sprayed Slick 50 Lube 1.

Smooth as silk operation after.