Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 adapter to TH350 mounting bolts.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Jun 23, 2003.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, looks like the box-o-bolts that came with my son's K5 did not include all the bolts that go from the adapter to the trans case. They are "special" bolts with an o-ring surface at the head (basically the last thread is missing) and a "washer" built into the head solid (I'm sure there is a name for that, just don't know it).

Anyway, I have 3, need one more. "Finding" one will be a major PIA I'm sure. Anyone ever try to use a regular bolt with an o-ring? I suspect it will leak. What about regular bolt and RTV on the threads? With an o-ring? Not something I'm terribly inclined to "just try it" since it requires tearing the doubler back off the tranny if it leaks. For those that don't know, it would leak gear oil onto the outside of the trans case, not inside... I just hate leaks...

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just a grade 5 bolt, with "The right stuff" will work fine.

"The Right Stuff" is the cat's Meow. better than the blue rtv stuff. No leak's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Better yet, since the "O-ring's" have a tendancy to roll up and twist anyhow, is to "Right Stuff" all the bolt's, and toss the o-ring's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. BadDog

I finally scrounged a bolt that is 1/4" longer and has a 1/4" shank that will work fine for an o-ring. I also found out that one of the trans case holes had the first 1/4" or more of the threads stripped out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So, the longer bolt will be good there after running the threads on down with a tap.

Also, I usually use the Ultra Black, never used "the Right Stuff" before, though I've heard it mentioned a few times...

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Whatever you wind up doing, don't forget the locktite on the threads, ask Marv about that.....

5. BadDog

Hehe, yeah. If it's a structural bolt and I can't get to it once assembled, all that stuff gets red "high strength" loctite. If it's outside, blue or red depending...

6. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I only use the ultra black myself. That stuff works great and I have never had a leak yet. It is extremely similar to the Right Stuff, just not in the aerosol can.

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What about regular bolt and RTV on the threads? With an o-ring?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done this many-a-time /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif....

Marv