Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 case taking in trans fluid possibly ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Mar 12, 2006.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

is there any known issue with the old 203/th350 combo having a tranny fluid into the 203 case problem ?

or is that even possible with the 203 cases?

the truck seems to have trans fluid disappear and it has no leaks or anything

im not fore sure if it was just from the truck sitting for as long as it did, or what, but it has needed about 2.5 quarts to get the fluid level into the xxx's region on the stick end,

this is all since tuesday when i bought the truck and have been driving it

ill have to keep an eye on it over the next couple days and see where the fluid level is/goes/

the lady i bought it off of said she had the trans rebuilt about 2 years ago, and its painted blue, torque converter is black painted and not rusty like stock original ones are

and sometimes third gear doesnt quite seem ot be engaged all the way when cruising down the highway, road

seems a little slip or something wierd ?

not all the way into the gear ??

seems fine at part throttle at third gear speeds, but if you kinda get on it to speed up a little more doesnt seem like the third gear is all there totally, it goes into the gear, but just doesnt seem like its all there, hmm

i disconnected the kickdown cable just in case, but no change after that

also no change regardless of being hot or cold

running 33" with 3.07 axles btw

and they fabbed in one of those common afermarket aluminum trans coolers in front of the radiator, not that big of a cooler at all,

any ideas?

thanks for anything

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, tranny fluid can get into the 203 if the 203 input seals go bad, old age or many miles hardens the seals then the tranny fluid will leak past into the 203. Also, any item made of aluminum is not meant to be painted as aluminum cannot breath when painted so it could cause it to overheat and fail on you. I know you said you bought it and it was that way already but many people make the mistake of painting aluminum and not knowing the end result or possible results of doing so. When is the last time you EVER seen any aluminum tranny case painted from the factory, probably never?

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I'm not sure I believe that, I have seen a bunch of stock aluminum intake manifolds that are painted. My guess is aluminum transfer cases are not painted because they don't corrode like steel. I see how paint could hinder the transfer of heat, but I think my explanation seems more reasonable.

**EDIT** The seal between trans and t-case leaked on mine which made the trans go low on fluid and the t-case was spewing fluid out the rear output seal because it became overfilled. Replaced the seal and everything was good. LOL, it's funny that the tech in my post was the second contribution even though I had a similar problem.

5. 4X4HIGH

Well, over the 20 years i've been building engines and the 28 years i've been working on cars/trucks I've never once seen a tranny, t-case, or intake manifold that was aluminum and factory ever painted. I'm talking about every make of vehicle i've worked on or seen. Paint does hinder the heat transfer process that aluminum is known for. Now on the other hand, black paint on cast iron will help draw out the heat rather than keep it trapped in as some people may think, look at every race car engine with a cast iron block and they are painted black, and if it has an aluminum block it is natural aluminum. :dunno: Maybe my many years of experience doesn't mean anything to you but start asking around and see what others have to say, i'm sure you will get differing opinions but i'll bet most say don't paint anything that is aluminum.

I just re-read what you wrote and i guess you're meaning the heat transfer rather than the breathing part, basically same difference but yes heat transfer is what i was talking about.

6. 1977k5

I wasn't saying that you were wrong. I only said that I know for a fact that I have seen factory aluminum intake manifolds painted black and that logically the OEM's may choose not to paint aluminum because it won't corrode like steel. Logically you would have to paint steel parts or else they will rust. I'm sure you're right, I don't paint any of the aluminum on my rig.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so a 203 can take on th350 fluid ? very possible ? or not as possible as other combos, or ?

how should i go about checking the 203 to see if its got trans fluid in it, i mean am i gonna be able to tell ?

i dont know about the aluminum painted parts thing, interesting though..

the only aluminum parts i can right now recall being factory painted are things such as the `80-up GM aluminum intakes(2 and 4bbl, and TBI), and uhmm some brackets for some accessories especially on makes other than chevy/GM, but i know ive seen some other factory painted aluminum engine parts at one time or another over the years,
    i have been around and seen and worked on a billion different kinds of vehicles, engine jobs trans jobs, axle jobs, strut jobs, half shaft jobs, fuel tank pump jobs, you name it, tons of them, so ive seen alot(for my age, and for the 12 years that ive been at it)
    it exists and happened i know,

so 4x4high, unless youve never seen an '80 or newer chevy intake, then.,..
    lol

so there are some factory painted aluminum parts that were put out there by the manufacturers, for sure, its not that they never did it, its just that its uncommon

so anyways, uhmm do you think i need to dump the stupid little trans cooler in front of the radiator and reconnect the tranny to the radiator ?

if so then does top go to top and bottom to bottom(hoses/lines) ?

or?

thanks !

8. 4X4HIGH

You can get tranny fluid into any transfer case if the input seal goes bad.

Yes i've seen many late model intake manifolds from chevy's and not a single one were painted, they were all natural aluminum. Look at any TPI camaro or vette, how about any EFI SBF, how about the injected Chrysler engines, all had natural aluminum intakes. Any how, i'm done arguing about painted or not painted aluminum. I know why aluminum is not supposed to be painted and also what can potentionally happen if it is so you won't find me painting aluminum.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Check....

Your vacuum modulator might have a ruptured diaphram...that could cause the slippage in third gear,and the loss of tranny fluid..its the only other place the ATF can be going besides the T-case,without leaking...:crazy:

My 74 K20 used to leak out of the dipstick tube and detent cable "o" ring when it sat for long periods..but if I drove it regularly,it would not leak..once in a while if I parked on a hill off camber,it would lose quite a bit of dextron suddenly..right after I fixed both leaks,it decided to lose reverse..:doah:...I parted it out after that..:(

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

4x4high you better call TCI Automotive and tell them to quit painting the trannies they sell then

and aparently you havent been under many 80s gm vehicles, any of the 3.8L to 5.7L aluminum intakes were painted from factory, and so are the intakes and heads of the buick 3800 engines, very common

but you are in total denial, so its not worth the trouble

hum, i thought the modulator was only for 1-2 shift ?

no leaks at all under there, its good

i havent run it today at all, to check fluid level and all that,

cuz im unsure yet

thanks for any further

74 K20 parted, eww crappy, full floater rig dang :O

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

drove it around and checked trans fluid and its good and full right up to the top of the xxxx's region of the stick

so hmmm

thanks

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Here's an idea... see if the t-case is way over full. :rolleyes:

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

heres an idea: learn how to reply with info that i and everyone else didnt already know, and without the stupid ass rolling eyes face,

idiot

i know i could check the trans case,
    but i havent gotten that far yet, im trying to figure out the trans shift issue first

go play in heavy traffic thanks, and quit following me, getting tired of having to tell you to stop this BS, you just cant resist can you?
    grow the F up!

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Instead of blasting those who are trying to help you it might be worth your while to listen to info that is helping you get closer to solving your problem .
    Of course fluid can get through to the T-case if the seals are bad ( hence the need for the seals in the first place ).
    NVRENUF's answer is direct and to the point and it seems that it is EXACTLY what you need to hear !
    Get a reality check on your comments about folks following you around on the board just because some folks point out the obvious for you or tell you exactly how to find a solution for the problem even if you do not agree. From what I have read in this post the other good folks who have replied do understand about the fluid transfer and NVRENUF is helping out instead of having a simple problem become a several page thread with an on-going theme when the problem IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU !
    Now take this info for what it is worth and suck it up if you are upset with the tone of this post - I just responded to you the way you have reponded to someone that IS TRYING TO HELP YOU !

Tom

15. 1977k5

What he said ^^^

16. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

My first inclination when I saw this at work was to fire back in kind but I decided to wait, watch and reply tonight with a clear head. I was really surprised at how sharply you replied but I guess it's possible that you were embarassed to the point of anger by my pointing out the obvious. The reason for my sarcasm was because I felt it was a waste of other peoples time by letting this thread get up to 10 posts with various (good) suggestions and scenerios when you had still failed to do one of the top 3 most obvious checks.

As for my "following you" and your "having to tell you to stop this BS" I'd like for you to EXPLAIN AND PROVE these accusations. Any person here can do a quick search of my posts and see these are lies, in fact I cannot remember a time when we directly posted responses to one another (we may have, I just do remember). To tell you the truth, while I do not use the ignore function, I do typically avoid your threads and posts because they generally follow a cycle of misinformation or woe is me threats to leave the site for any number of repetitive mind numbing reasons. Trust me, if I was chasing you through the board you'd know it.

I see from your other posts that you have me "ignored" but I think curiousity will get the best of you and you'll read this. Since you started the name calling and lies, I expect a public apology. :mad:

That is all for now...

17. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Maybe this is one reason that the 208 uses ATF for lube. If the trans leaks into the 208 - no harm done.

I still think there should be a small, weatherstripped, hinged access hatch in the cab; open it and - a screw-in filler cap with a dipstick for the transfer case.

18. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

R72K5 or R77K10 (what ever you are going by ) I just want to say that I think it is sad that you accuse someone of following you around and when presented with a question about your integrity you choose to ignore it. If NVRENUF has followed you around the board and done what you say than POST UP AND PROVE IT but if he has not done such than suck it up admit that you have issues and give propper credit where it is due.
    It is my opinion that you lash out at anyone that disputes you ( and that is fairly often ) and get WAAAAYYYY to upset when you do not understand the problem at hand or how to take information that folks are trying to give you.
    I have a request of You - please put me on your ignore list too ! I do not wish to share in any discussion with someone that has no integrity !

NVRENUF is a damn good guy and his post's and reply's are geared towards helping others and learning for himself your's seem to be less helpful with questionable facts and do not do much for the quality of this board. Please try and upgrade your attitude and curb your responses when people post something other than what you "feel" is the gospel truth in your eye's.

Basically my point is grow up and make your comments mean something !

Tom