Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 cases: do they have two shift rods ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Jun 12, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

on stock 203 cases int he 70s auto trans trucks do they have two shifting rods on the same threaded shaft ?? is that correct ? if not on 203 cases then on what ? this one with two rods is not a 205 i know and its not aluminum housing, its iron with aluminum tailhousing, one had flat flange output and other is U joint output, whats correct and whats not in the 70s blazers ?

thanks

2. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

On my 203 in my 76 there are two linkages underneath the floor. One for high and one for low. I've had to adjust both already. hehe Hope this helps you out some.

Allan

3. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

OH and a U-Joint output.

Allan

4. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

There are indeed two shift rods, one selects 4 or 2 wheel drive, and the other selects the speed if I remember correctly. I also adjusted the length of them in order for the shifter to fully engage properly, it also helps prevent the case from popping out of gear.

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I just had a crazy thought? Could you twin stick a 203? Would it even be worth the time since its a full time case? Any ideas or thoughts?

Kris

6. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Twin stick should work if you had a part time kit in there. If not one lever would be high-lo and the other would be lock-unlock

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What about just manual hubs on the axle? Or would it only work with the part time kit that goes in the transfer case?

Kris

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    There are indeed two shift rods, one selects 4 or 2 wheel drive, and the other selects the speed if I remember correctly. I also adjusted the length of them in order for the shifter to fully engage properly, it also helps prevent the case from popping out of gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 wheel drive ? huh ? these are 203 cases..
    one more Q about these cases, one has speedo on opposite side of the output shaft housing
    and also one case has evenly tapered down output sleeve/shaft, and the other case has bottlenecked down output sleeve/shaft

do these both sound like GM 203 cases ?

thanks all /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

If you just put manual hubs on and didn't change to a part-time kit you would have to put it in 4lock to get it to move. The differential in the 203 acts just like an open rear diff until you put the part time kit in. Unlocking the front hubs would be like lifting a rear tire with an open diff.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What about just manual hubs on the axle? Or would it only work with the part time kit that goes in the transfer case?

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]
    the stock 203 trucks with manual hubs swapped onto them can only be unlocked at the hubs, the axle shafts and front driveshaft would still remain under power at all times, especially in one of the two loc ranges

11. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thats what I figured, but I can always hope. Maybe one day I'll swap it out in favor of something better. Thanks again!

Kris

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The np203 is a great cast iron case and with a part time kit becomes quite usefull. It converts is to 4wd-high-lock,2wd-high, Nuetral, 2wd-Low, 4wd-Low-Lock. This is especially usefull if your running a locker up front since you can shift on the fly between 2wd-Low and 4wd-Lock and restore a full turning radius but unloading the front locker. Having a lot of flex, a rear locker and good traction, I only use 4-lock for the hardest obstacles and generally run around in 2wd in most the places everyone else is running 4wd. The last little bonus to the np203 is the 3:1 reduction that can be swapped in now in place of the 2:1. The chain design is just as strong as the gear design of the 205, most fail due to poor maintenance or absolute abuse. The biggest drawback to the np205 is the 1.96:1 gear ratio.

And ORD has a guide to identifying them here:
    http://www.offroaddesign.com/Transfer%20Case%20ID%20Guide.htm

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

chains... as strong as gears... wha?!

j

14. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

one more Q about these cases, one has speedo on opposite side of the output shaft housing
    and also one case has evenly tapered down output sleeve/shaft, and the other case has bottlenecked down output sleeve/shaft

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, forgot to mention mine has the part time kit on it.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, forgot to mention mine has the part time kit on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif :P /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

You can indeed twin stick a 203, but you won't have the range selction for front and rear like a 205 twin stick does. Mine is a twin stick, it eases shifting quite a bit, if you are running a p/t case then one stick is 2wd and 4wd, the other stick is high, neutral, and low range. I just thought I would throw my 2cents in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Krennen

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just had a crazy thought? Could you twin stick a 203? Would it even be worth the time since its a full time case? Any ideas or thoughts?

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]

When you twin stick the 203:
    If it's not converted:
    1- Loc/ unloc
    2- High/neutral/ Low

If it is converted:
    1- 4wd/2wd
    2- High/neutral/ Low