Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 center cap removal ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swilson, May 15, 2003.

1. swilson

swilson Registered Member

I have a '74 with a NP203. Whats the best way to get the hub center caps off without totally destroying them??? I know they are supposed to pry off, but I think the p.o. must have driven them on with a 16lb sledge or something. Can't get anything to catch on the edges to pry or even catch with a rigged puller. Help!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just use a big screwdriver and twist the screwdriver instead of prying /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. swilson

Tried that first and didn't get anywhere. These things are really stuck on there. I'm almost to the point of drilling holes in them so I can wedge a prybar in and pull them out. HELP! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Have you tried a hammer and a BRASS drift/punch...brass will not damage it.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

we had to drill holes and pry out my friends drivers side one, u gotta do whatcha gotta do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Is it the external flange with the bolts? If it is, then you aren't going to hurt those center covers. I used a pretty good sized prybar to pop mine off. The P.O. has used a LOT of silicone on them. They are beefy enough, just pry on em...

KP

7. swilson

Nothing visible on that hub except the chrome center piece. (Sorry no pics...no camera...yet /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) I assume (hope) the bolts are under the cap. Can't even hardly use a punch and hammer due to the angle needed to get behind the lip of the cap. Maybe I'll just cut them out with the Dremel tool /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Any last ideas?????

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Snap-on makes a cap removal tool and its acutally kinda cheap...like $20 or something like that. I use a long cro-bar when I take mine out for highway travel. I take the flat end and wedge it in between the hub and the cap. Then use the rim/tire to pry on. Do one side then the other and it falls right off.

9. swilson

Thanks...I'll see if I can make that happen before I hafta get drastic on it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i thought late 77 up were with chrome caps and not before ?

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My 75 burb has the chrome caps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 76SILVERADO

76SILVERADO Registered Member

take the wheel off to get better angle? i had to hit mine all around with a hammer to break it loose. then screw driver method.

13. swilson

Well Duh!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'm an idiot. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Sometimes the easiest way is not seen because of the hair brained ideas getting in the way. Thanks...will try it when it gets light outside.