Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 converted part time?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big83chevy4x4, Dec 9, 2002.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Awile back my dad bought a 78 blazer for $76 (lucky him) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. it has a 350/203 with lockout hubs. my question is how do you tell if it has the conversion kit, how does it work, and what is the shift pattern?
    TJ /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

if you do a search you will find everything you are looking for /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Actually I just went through my NP203, so I can help you. If you pull the shifter all the way back, then up one notch, you will be able to check the part time installation.

Just leave the truck in park with the e-brake set and crawl up under it. You should be able to turn the front driveshaft with your hand if the part time kit is installed and working properly. Remember, the hubs must be un-locked and the shift lever must be one notch forward from the back-position.

Good-luck with the truck. For $76, I'm sure there's a lot of work to do.

4. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Shift pattern:

4-low
    2-low
    nuetral
    2-high
    4-high
    I have a 203 with part time kit and hubs and i love it, low range is killer. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

To find out, just unlock your hubs, and see if you can drive in 4 hi. If you are full time, your frint driveshaft will just spin and make noises and you wont move. With your hubs unlocked you'll only be able to drive with it in 4loc, or 4low loc. If you are converted, your front driveshaft will never turn unless it is in 4loc.