Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 doubler info

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Crashfab, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Crashfab

Crashfab Newbie

I have looked all over and for some reason I can't find the length of the adapter for the 203-205 . Thanks

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Overall length from the front face of the 203 to the centerline of the output yoke runs right around 21.5". This should let you measure up for driveshafts, etc. Another way to look at it is if you have a TH350/203 it's the same length when you do the Doubler or if you have a TH350/205, the Doubler will move the 205 back 6".
    Hope this helps

3. Crashfab

Crashfab Newbie

Thanks stephen. I was more/less looking for the length of the adapter itself. I built a rig for a guy this last year and he suplied some homebrew 203 adapter. Well after 2 trips it started leaking where the tube joins the 2 halfs of the adapter so I pulled it apart and found the welds had cracked(very poor welds). Well I welded it back up being carefull of the pulling forces created by welding and reassembled it. After the owner having it for 2 months the 203 had gotten a nasty bearing noise so I dissassembled it and found the output bearing on the 203 had failed. Now the bearing had failed in a way that suggested to me the adapter wasn't square and the output shaft was possably cocked causing the input/outputs to not run square (the bearing blew the cage that retains the balls) and both input/output had chewed against each other. So I am researching of either having this adapter sent to my buddy to have him check it out/new output shaft or get a totaly new unit, one thats made right. But this unit is 3 5/16" long and was looking for one that was a close length so I would not have to modify the custom crossmember I built.

Thanks

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I see now.
    You can plan on a just a little bit over 3", so you'll be moving the 205 forward by 1/4 to 5/16".
    When we built the welded adapters, the parts were machined, it was all welded together, then the weldment was machined to make sure it was all square. That's why we don't do that anymore, too many steps to make sure it's right.