Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seanschevy, May 11, 2004.

1. seanschevy

seanschevy Registered Member

ok i thought my 203 was bad and was making a grinding noise so i replaces in with another 203. Anyways the 203 i got from the jusnk yard has 2 levers on it. 1 i belive to so the high, netual, and low. and the other to do the 2 and 4 wheel drive. But when i put the case to the rear lever in straight up and down(2 wheel) with the truck in high or low the truck doesnt move and the tcase make a wining noise. But when the rear lever towards the case is in 4 wheel and the other lever in high or low the truck works fine. Is this what is ment by a full-time case does the front drive shaft always spin(right now mines not hooked up). My orginal 203 had the 2 wheel work and the font output didnt turn (did i have a part time kit in it from orginal owner). please help im all confused and really hope i dont have to take this heavy case out again and have to put another one back in. oh yea and its not my shifter links im shifting it by hand under the truck.

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Yup, a FT 203 works like a l/s diff, it sends the power to the axle that is slipping. The reason it will move in one postion is because you are in loc position which lock the axles together in true 4wd. The only way to cure this is put the front shaft back in and run with your hubs locked in or move the part time kit to your new case. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Hope that helps,
    Krennen

3. seanschevy

seanschevy Registered Member

to install the part time kit will i have to drop the case in the truck. Also is it bad to run it in the lock positon without putting a front shaft in. thanks. i plan on running a doubler down the line and buying a high angle front shaft that why i really dont want to take the case down and go though all of that work if i dont have to.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    is it bad to run it in the lock positon without putting a front shaft in

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran mine that way for more that 6 months. I didn't have any issues and my t-case seems to be just fine. I had to put a new tranny in recently, so I had to drain the t-case. There was nothing in the gear oil and it still shifts smooth. I wouldn't do it permanently, but for a short time should be no biggie.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I thought for sure there was an article in the main site on installing a part time kit but I can't find it. If I remember correctly you can install one with the Tcase in the truck.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yup, a FT 203 works like a l/s diff, it sends the power to the axle that is slipping. The reason it will move in one postion is because you are in loc position which lock the axles together in true 4wd. The only way to cure this is put the front shaft back in and run with your hubs locked in or move the part time kit to your new case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be accurate, a full-time NP203 acts like an *open* differential, not a limited slip. If you're in conditions where slippage is likely (i.e. off the pavement), you'd use the LOC settings to bypass the center diff, and lock the front to the rear. In this regard it's like a selectable locker, like an Ox-Trac or an ARB.

-- A

7. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

I ran mine for better part of a year with out front drive shaft with no problems other then not haveing 4wheel when I was out acting stupid in 2wheel /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif