Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 "hubs"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, May 14, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

203 \"hubs\"

ok i got a 77 gmc K-2500 pickup given to me today for giving up and installing an EST controlled 305 engine into an 86 pickup today, the 77 has different "hubs" than on other 203 3/4 ton trucks ive seen, mine has bolts around the "hubs" and others i see usually have smooth chrome caps over the "hubs"

my front hubs look similar to the 14 bolt FF hubs with the bolt heads and all

this 77 has regular 2wd 3/4 ton 1 ton gmc dog dish hubcaps all around it, the hubs dont stick out too far to prevent use of 2wd caps,

i cant remember if the normal chrome slug cap style 203 3/4 ton hubs stick out any farther than my wierd bolted ones do or not

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Re: 203 \"hubs\"

What you have is the 1977 first design 3/4 ton front end that was used from 1960 through the first part of 1977, with the bolt on, or "external" type locking hubs. They do not stick out as far as the 2nd design, or chrome capped (same hubs as 1/2 tons) style.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so whats better ? bolted on ones or the chrome slug ones ? ive never seen one like this so that gioes to show how many old 4x4s exist here- none

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Do they look something like this?

[​IMG]

That's what I run on the front of mine. The slug is pretty bombproof, but I've heard people gripe about the external style hubs. Personally, I like them. Nice and simple and I've never had one break. I've had lots of internal's break, but that may have just been luck of the draw.

For the most part, I run a set of WARN Premium External Hubs every day and the slugs on the trail...

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

That's what I run on the front of mine. The slug is pretty bombproof, but I've heard people gripe about the external style hubs. Personally, I like them. Nice and simple and I've never had one break. I've had lots of internal's break, but that may have just been luck of the draw.

For the most part, I run a set of WARN Premium External Hubs every day and the slugs on the trail...

[/ QUOTE ]

that is them, yep. are these bolted ones considered internal or external ? what about the chrome cap slugs 78-up ? i saw a listing where it listed splined and then bolted full time hubs, which are which ?
    i assume splined are the chrome cap slugs ?

also: whats the numbers in your signature?

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is them, yep. are these bolted ones considered internal or external ? what about the chrome cap slugs 78-up ? i saw a listing where it listed splined and then bolted full time hubs, which are which ?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are considered external. If you take that slug off, then the splines of the axleshaft are outside the bearing hub, whereas on the shiny chrome ones, they are inside the bearing hub, when the slug is pulled.

The numbers in my sig? I'll break them apart and see if that helps.
    89 10 14 410 350 700 241 36 Does that help any? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Hey Kyle, in this pic [​IMG] right behind that cap there is a snap ring that goes in a groove on the spline...which groove does the ring go in...there is more than one groove /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These are considered external. If you take that slug off, then the splines of the axleshaft are outside the bearing hub, whereas on the shiny chrome ones, they are inside the bearing hub, when the slug is pulled.

89 10 14 410 350 700 241 36 Does that help any? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol ok now i understand the numbers now, i suppose if i had spent more time studying them then id have figured them out lol /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

anyways, so when i see 203 part time conversion listings that have two applications- one listed as bolted and other as splined, then i suppose the 77 and earlier 203 ones are the bolted and the late 77 and up 203 are the splined ?
    or ?

thanks

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'll check when I get home. OFf the top of my head, I don't have a clue /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I usually figure it out when I'm putting them on. I know on the hubs, I only have one choice and it's a bear to get to. Requires a breaker bar to pull the axleshaft in so I can put it on.

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol ok now i understand the numbers now, i suppose if i had spent more time studying them then id have figured them out lol /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

anyways, so when i see 203 part time conversion listings that have two applications- one listed as bolted and other as splined, then i suppose the 77 and earlier 203 ones are the bolted and the late 77 and up 203 are the splined ?
    or ?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much the gist of it. I like this slug setup a little better, it just seems a little beafier.