Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 leaking?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979chevystepside, Dec 5, 2006.

1. 1979chevystepside

1979chevystepside Registered Member

so i just put in a new to me 203 in my k10 due to the fact that i blew my old one. i bought it used and the front yoke? (the part the front driveshaft connects too) wasnt right. So i swap it with my old one. it apparently leaks around that part now. I dont recall seeing a seal of any sorts and i oiled the machined part of the yoke? before i put it in. so any ideas on what would be leaking. TIA Justin

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

There is a front output shaft seal. It is a metal ring/shell with a rubber lip seal and a round spring that sits in the back of the lip to hold tension against the output shaft for a good seal. To change it you must remove it from the output housing and then carefully tap in the new one with a piece of 2x4.

There is also a regular paper gasket between the base of the output housing and the case.

Edit: I found a similar one in my spare parts, give me 10 minutes and I'll get pictures posted.

3. 1979chevystepside

sratches head and waits for the picture maybe ill see when you get it up another thing. can you by that seal at the parts store? or will i have to go to satan?

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

It will be similar to this. I'm not sure if you can get it seperate or have to buy the 30.00 rebuild kit with all seals and gaskets. Call up NAPA or your local parts store and ask them.

This seal sits inside that output housing flush with the top and may be difficult to distinguish. Notice the spring on the backside of the lip seal. That will force the lip to ride up against your yoke and seal it.

Another thing you'll want to do is look at your yoke for a friction wear groove from riding the yoke over the years. If the yoke is badly grooved it will leak regardless.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  5. 1979chevystepside

ummm my account wont let me view the pics?

$bbuserinfo[username], you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. You may be trying to post or reply in a CK5 Member only access forum, CLICK HERE for further details.
    2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Sorry, I always forget that. Wait a few more minutes and I'll link them from my own site.

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

8. 1979chevystepside

thank you very much that was SUPER helpful now i know what im looking for! you guys are GODS

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Your welcome.

If you hang around long enough feel free to get yourself a membership so you can enjoy all the benefits.