Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 mounting pattern??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b454rat, Apr 10, 2007.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Found a deal on a doubler setup, but it has a Ford 203 range box. Not familiar yet with 203s, so dunno what type of pattern they have.

2. tlspeed

tlspeed Registered Member

A ford 203 has its own bolt pattern specifcally for a ford tranny. But once you get past the input and bolt pattern, all 203's are the same internally except drivers drop vs passenger drop.

What I am saying, is the intermediate shaft and the bolt pattern of the doubler plate on the 203 side will bolt to any 203 (ford,chevy,dodge).

So if the price is right, buy it, and swap in a 203 that that will bolt to your transmission. That is, if the 205 is dropped on the correct side for you.

3. b454rat

Here is the link. I want to put this in my 89, TH400 and with a Ford 205 case. If I have to get another 203 rangebox, then not really worth it. The inputs aren't that big a deal, I can get them. Biggest concern was the mouting pattern on the Ford 203...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571042

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i believe the ford 203 has the 6 bolt round pattern (just like every other ford tcase) that is just clocked differently from gm. i know the dodge is 90* counter clockwise from the gm pattern, but i don't know about the ford.

also i think the back half of the 203 range box on the ford has a different pattern than the chevy/dodge case, but i could be way off here.

5. tlspeed

tlspeed Registered Member

Depending on what you think would be easier---

You could re-drill the ford 203 and swamp in a chevy 203 input so it will slide on into you th400 out put.

Or you could find a chev 203 off of a th400 , use the case, and swap all the guts form that ford 203 in to the the chev case since it is rebuilt. Then there will be no redrilling, everthing will be nice and new and work like you want.

Another thought, since you have the newer style th400 with the 6 bolt round adapter pattern, I think (not for sure) that the 6 bolt ford and 6 bolt chevy are the same. Since ford always used a 6 bolt pattern on therr 203's and 205's, the 203 will bolt to your 400, all you need is an input. I'm just ranting here, but its a thought to check into.

6. b454rat

The Ford and GM are both 6 bolt round, but they are different. 2 holes are close, but don't line up, also the clocking is different. This is giving me a headache on top of the headache I have already, think it's just too much of a PITA. SweetK30 has all the 203 stuff I need, so just need to get the doubler kit itself. Good deal if someone wants it...