Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203-n-205 doubler kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Oct 14, 2000.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have pics of a 203 n 205 doubler. How well is the performance, I would imagine excellent, but haven't talked to anybody that has this setup. All feedback and any pics would be great.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I have a doubler setup in my Blazer and it is by far the best investment I've made. It is easy to build but takes at least two to install it due to the weight. If you want a picture go to Off Road Designs web site and browse their catalog. You will have to have both driveshafts replaced and if it's going into a blazer you will have to have a rear shaft with a cv joint at the case.

Steve Frisbie
    85 M1009

3. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I agree, one of the best mods. you can do. I used two cross members and made some floor jack attachments that bolted to the cross members. With these two floorjack attachments, I was able to assemble all three together on the floor and install all at once. It's a one man show at my house-you have to get creative. Don't forget a longer speedo cable!!!

4. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Titanic & Steve roughly what was a total cost? With the kit, speedo cable, transfer case and so forth. Do you guys run in 2:1 2wd on the street? What ratios do you have in the axels? What kind of exhaust mods if any were necessary? Would love to have a doubler someday!
    Thanks, Jay

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I've got pix up on my site at http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash/doublerinfo.html. You should really be running a large crossmember that spans both t-cases, but in my case the front DS would mean a custom one (i got lazy, do'nt send hate-mail). Mine is behind an SM465 in a long-box 77 pickup. It hasn't broken behind a 500HP 454, and I don't think it will. I was worried about it when I got it a couple years back, but not anymore.

It ended up costing me $1100 or so, but that was every single part (203 box, 203+SM465 adaptor, new input and output shafts for the 203, adaptor plate, shifters, gaskets, etc.). Got it all right from ORD.

I only run lo-lo range when climbing the real nasty stuff. Otherwise i use just normal lo-range. Also, shifting in and out of the doubler-box is a breeze. I've never had a problem with binding, it just slips in and out with ease.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

6. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I've read the ORD page, and find this kind of confusing. Can someone explain both what this does, and how hard it is to install, in english?

How much fabrication is involved? I was concerned about trying to fabricate a cross member.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Ok 1 more question. Why the 203 to 205 rather than a 203 to a 203? Or is it just by preference. Does anybody have any wide shots of this setup?

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Wait a few weeks more before ordering. I talked to Stephen at ORD a couple weeks back and he's working on making a second gen Doubler that will be shorter and hopefully will work with the SM465 version of the 205 to help with the availability problems with TH350 205's. The way he was talking if your truck came with a 350 203 combo you might be able to use the stock rear driveshaft :) It may even help with the crossmember issue. Stephen is a great person to talk to and happy to answer any questions. Give it a few weeks and see how the new version is comming along. It should drop the cost a bit if he gets this to work.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

10. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

This 203-205 combo is long. If you made a 203-203 it would be too long except for non lifted or crewcabs. I personally don't want a fulltime transfer case.I use 3 crossmembers. One under the 203 adapter that I "L"ed up to bolt to the top edge of the frame to clear the driveshaft, my stock one moved back because of the Doubler length and the third was the back support for the factory slid plate under my 205.

11. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

As far as costs are concerned I spent $750.00 on the doubler kit, $175.00 for the twin stick shifter, $500.00 for custom driveshafts(you can have your shafts shortened and lengthened for a lot less)and $50.00 for new poly mounts. I used the stock 205 crossmember and made custom z brackets that drop the crossmember 1.5" and make it wide enough to bolt to the frame. I also used the stock 203 crossmember and cut it to clear the driveshaft. I then built a full length skid plate that protects the transmission and both transfer cases.

Steve Frisbie
    85 M1009

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah I've got to wait more than a few weeks before I get this setup going. I run a 700r4 into a 208. Found and bought a 203 recently and was going to put a part time kit into it to replace the 208 but have been tossing the idea around about buying a atlas 4.3:1 t case, but I think I'm going to go with the doubler. I've heard great on both, but $2300 compared to $1100 is a big difference. Thanks for all the input.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

There's a guy on the pirate board that just got the shorter doubler kit in, and he made it all fit in a FJ40 Landcruiser. So I think that will be really nice. 3-1/2 inches if I remember correctly. His name is Jimmy over there if you want to read his thread.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

14. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

That guy on the pirate board said the new version also can be made to raise the front shaft and t-case up so it is flush with the frame not hanging below like it does stock.Diffinetly need to save for this.I have 2 203s for sale if somone is interested.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster