Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 not working?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Aug 30, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i got a 78' with a 203 transfer case and an auto in front of it. i just got the truck and it has new pro-comp hubs in it and i think the part time kit. i took it out today and got it stuck, well i went to put it in 4wd and nothing. it dosent even seem to lower the gears when in lo loc it feels the same no matter where the shifter is. what can i look for? other than that it runs and drives great

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

When you lock the hubs in and lock the tcase in low or low-loc, you shouldn't be able to spin the front driveshaft. If you can, then something is messed up inside the case.

3. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do you hear any grinding noise? This is what happened when the chain was slipping on the sprockets. The truck went no where.

4. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

no noises at all, just dosent seem like the transfer case is hooked up or somtething, i havent messed with it too much. i pretty much figured it was something in the t-case because it dosent go into low at all, at first i thought the linkage was just mis-adjusted but i tried it in all sorts of different spots and still nothing. are there any write-ups that anyone knows of for installing the part-time kit? ill probably have to dig into the transfer case and see if there was a kit installed and if it was installed right.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

6. DGTitan

DGTitan Newbie

Check for body lift

If you have a body lift and the hole in the cab floor hasn't been cut out bigger then stock the shifter will hit the floor boards. It will seem like you are shifting from gear to gear, but really you are just moving through the slop of the 203. Pull back the carpet and see if you are hitting the body pan. I had the same thing and that is what I had to do. I cut almost two inches off of the body pan to make it into high and low loc.