Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 part time kit or not???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ol_grayfeather, Apr 2, 2002.

1. ol_grayfeather

ol_grayfeather Registered Member

I have a 75 3/4 ton that has a 203 and was wondering what it would hurt if I just put a set of hubs in and then run it in lock, instead of putting in a part time kit?? I read somewhere that when one installs a part time kit that you need to run it with the hubs turned in, for 20 miles or so a month, to make sure the front of the tranfer case gets lubricated. So other than the unnecessary "wear and tear" from rotating the front driveline, whats wrong??

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Nothing, alot of guys just do that, it will helps with gas milage, and you dont have to worry about the front not getting oil.

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

So are you guys saying that if I switch my front axel to one with warn locking hubs that I can run them unlocked on the 203 even though it will be sending power to the front driveline.

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Yes you can do that, but you dont gain all that much. I would recomend just buying the kit or swaping for a 205 or 208.

5. just do the kit. it's real easy to install. can easily be done in an hour. get some assembly greese for all the needle bearings and an 1 5/16 socket for the output yoke and you're set. the hubs take about 20 min. good time to check your bearings and seals though while you're in there.

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Does the kit add another shifter to the floor? or do you just use only the current one off the 203?

7. no new shifter. just eliminates the differential inside the case. two differnet kits offered. i used the cheeper one and have had no problems with it at all.

8. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

One advantage to the part time kit is that you will have a 2 wheel drive low gear now. Just an added benny.

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i just did the kit, took a little over an hour... i'm doing th ewrite up as i type this...

10. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Is there a way to tell if the part time kit was done? I have the locking hubs but have no way of knowing anything else. Is there even a simple way to identify what case is in there for sure? I have the L, L Loc, etc. shifter and my front driveshaft spins when I move it by hand. There is no ident tag on this transfer case like on previous trucks

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

ya Its an 203 .If you can spin the drive shaft it has been done..

12. Ancient_4X4

Ancient_4X4 Registered Member

"It saves on gas" is a myth. All of the people I've talked to that have put a part time kit in their trucks wish they had never done it. This unnecessary wear and tear talk I hear is a bunch of bs as well.