Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 problem, questions & identification of part time kit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mplogic, Mar 20, 2003.

1. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Hey I'm orange now, that was fast. Finially bit the bullet and paid my quarter. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My bro's 77 Jimmy has a 203 that I don't think is going into lock in high or low. Or maybe it is only going into high or low lock??? I've never used one of these myself. It feels like there are only 3 positions for the stick: high, low, and neutral. Any ideas?

Secondly, he has manual hubs on it and we're debating whether it's more effecient to run with them locked or unlocked (with front wheels applying force to the ground or front end freewheeling). Anyone know?

Also, I have another 203 in a parts truck that I was told had a part time kit installed. Is there any way I can verify this externally? The truck is... shall we say "sans engine" at the moment. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last question, I read through the 203 part time conversion kit review. Looks good but is also pricey to do right. What would be the more economically sound (cheap) way to go, doing the conversion or swapping in a 205? He's got a 350 tranny and the 203 is a fixed yoke, slip shaft.

Thanks!

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could swap in the 205, but the adapter and drivesleeve are an easy $200, plus you have to move the crossmember (not bad) and modify driveshafts $$.

The part time kit is easy, just make sure to get the replacement shaft style with locking hubs. As for the shifter, I've noticed shifting it slowly will only get you High-N-Low, the shifter is "gated" (for lack of a better term). In order to get it into Low-loc or High-Loc, you have to push hard and quick, when pulling it out of Loc (say High-Loc to High or Low-Loc to Low), you can pull slowly and feel it dissengage Loc.

Externally there is NO way of knowing by visual inspection if a case has been converted or if it has what style.

Even if the rig had locking hubs, it doesn't quarantee the case has been coverted (but it would be an idicator that it probably was).

3. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks for the info. So how do I test if and what kind of part time kit it has once it is running? The 203 has a diff in it right? Does the part time kit disable that function?

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The part time kit does disable the differential. There are two ways this was accomplished. One was aluminum "pucks" that were installed, and the other was an all new output shaft. The aluminum pucks were known to wear out after a while, so the shaft is the preferred route. You won't know until you open it, which one is installed (if any).

I believe Grim wrote and article detailing the pro/cons of each and the installation process.

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe Grim wrote and article detailing the pro/cons of each and the installation process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he did. It's a great article.

NP 203 Part Time Kit write up