Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Nov 6, 2001.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Got a question for a buddy who just bought a 77 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup. His 203 transfer case only engages in 4 hi & low lock. It pops out of 2 hi. Any idea what may be causing this? Thanks for your help!

- Jay

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oops, just fixed your username color.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was just going to ask what was up with that. Anyways as far as popping out of 2 hi, it could be the detents are worn, but that is just a guess.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

4. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Sweet A green name ! muahaha lol

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    GO BUSH

5. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Kinda liked the green name. Does anyone know what the problem with the transfer case may be???

- Jay

6. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Ah, no more green :(

- Jay

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Need more information. Is it convertered or still full time?
    Only a couple things cause this. most common is the shifter is all full of crud and needs to be taken appart, cleaned and regreased. There is 2 detents on the LOC. One is in the shifter and the second is on the rod that actuates the LOC collar in the case. The one in the case lubes off the oil in the case and usualy not a problem. There are also some plastic bushings where the shift linkages meet the levers comming out of the shifter. Prone to breaking and falling out. That leaves extra slop in the linkages.
    I'm inclined to believe it's all shifter related and could also be out of adjustment. Most of the problem sounds like it's on the High Low part. With it locking into LOW LOC and High LOC not there then jumping out of LOW.
    Also lots of times part time kit installs are botched. Grab the tailshaft yoke. Might have to drop the drive shaft to test this. Pull out and push in on the yoke. if you can see it move it has to much endplay and needs to be reshimmed. The thing needs to be shimmed tight. about one/one thousands is all the endplay it needs. That is just enough that you can JUST FEEL it move just a hair but not really noticable with the eye. More than that and it lets the LOCK mechanisim move and it will kick out of LOC. Sounds like it's ok since it will hold LOW LOC but worth checking. It may be that somebody adjusted up the shifter and it may be because it was poping out of lock.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

8. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Grim thanks for the response. The truck has selectable hubs that were on when purchased, not sure if the previous owner also put the part-time convertion kit in? How can I tell if the kit was installed? If the kit wasn't now installed would this be the problem?

- Jay

9. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Grim thanks for the response. The truck has selectable hubs that were on when purchased, not sure if the previous owner also put the part-time convertion kit in? How can I tell if the kit was installed? If the kit wasn't now installed would this be the problem?

- Jay

10. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i cant remember the shift pattern and i doubt this may be the problem. but i had my 203 on a k15 and i didnt even know for the first year i had it, but i couldnt get it into the two of the positions because of the pody lift. with three inches of stick gone, i need to gut the floor hole bgger to increase the lever throw to give enough movement to shift into the two gears on the extremity of the shift pattern.

(dumass hehe)

Tork DSR
    "Easy killer. That's technology you talk of..."
    http://www.torkpig.homestead.com

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If the part time kit was installed you should be able to turn the front driveshaft by hand with the parking brake set, hubs unlocked and the t-case in 2-hi (engine off).

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

12. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Thanks Leadfoot! Gonna give that a try &amp; go from there.

- Jay