Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joshua632, Dec 13, 2004.

1. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

If I put the transfercase in 4 loc should it move without the rear driveshaft?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Only if your front driveshaft is still in

3. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

The front is in, I'm not that dumb. I was just trying to drive it around to the front of the garage so I wouldn't have to push it but it wouldn't budge. I tried everything I could think of then said the heck with it and used the push truck. So is my 203 crap or what?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

5. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

thanks i actually have another 203 but i hate to change it cause its so heavy.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Opps , I went to get the chain info , but I replied to your thread instead by accident :o

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Only if the front driveshaft is still in and BOTH your hubs are functional and locked. Many people convert 203's to part time cases and replace the full-time hubs with part time ones to save on wear and tear. If even one hub is unlocked and the rear driveshaft is gone, the truck will go nowhere.

Also is the 4Loc light coming on? If you don't shift it correctly, the shifter will be in the 4Loc position but the lock in the t-case will not be engaged and you will not move. There is a light in the dash that "should" come one when engaged properly. I have found that you have to shift with a little bit of speed/force to get them to shift correctly due to the mechanism in the shifter that "gates" the locking mechanism (that and years of rust/wear).

8. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

It still has the stock locked hubs so I don't think that is it, No part time kit either. This is all in my s-10 hybrid so I don't have a light in the dash anymore. I really hate to mess with it too much cause I'm currently looking for a 205.

9. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

so is that it, its definately a broken chain?

10. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

203 ?

No it's not definately a broken chain. If the xcase is full time then it uses a differential inside to allow slippage between the front and rear diffs, kinda like an open differential. If you jack up one wheel of a diff with an open carrier and give the car gas you'll notice that the power transfers to the wheel with the least resistance (the one in the air). The same goes for the xcase, if there is a missing link the power will transfer to that end, so if you hook your driveshaft back up you should be OK.

11. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Thanks that was my original thought. I will just wait till I get all together and see what I get then go from there. :)

12. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

In the High lock or Low lock positions it won't matter if you only have one shaft. It's pretty hard to break a chain, usually they stretch. My vote is for the shifter not actually putting the Tcase in lock. Sometimes flushing the crud out of the shifter with diesel fuel will make it work better.

13. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Out of the internal shifting mechinism or what. Sorry i don't really understand.

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well what does the truck do when you try and go? Does it just rev up like it's in neutral? I would have somebody look underneath to see if anything is spinning while you are trying to go. If just the rear output is spinning I'd guess you are not in lock. If the front shaft is spinning you got something broken up front. If nothing is spinning something is wrong with the T-case. Have you tried moving the lever around 203's are finicky cases sometimes they need some encouragement to get in the right gear.:D

15. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry to be so slow replying. You may have your problem solved, but if it is the shifter, it gets dirty down in the area the gear selector attaches. One lever is operating two rods if I remember correctly. I think one is the range selector and one controls the lock function of the transfer case. It's not unusual for the shifter to get bound up due to accumulated dirt. I would try pulling the rubber boot around the shift lever in the cab and flushing the shifter out while working the lever back and forth. The part you need to clean is not inside the transfer case, but bolts to the side. Hope this is your problem because it is easy to fix.

16. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have heard that unless you have a part time kit installed the truck will not move unless both driveshafts are installed even if the T-case is in loc.

17. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Trust me, if the 203 is working properly, you can drive with only the front shaft with the case in either of the LOC positions. When my blazer still had 31's i pulled the rear driveshaft and drove around the block to see if the chain was good. I even spun the front tires with the case in 4-low LOC just to be sure. Oh, and BTW, my case doesn't have a part-time kit.

18. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Thanks guys I am going to try cleaning the shifter up real good and see what happens, Right now it just revs like its in neutral but I haven't had a chance to have some one lay under it and watch the yokes yet but I will before I change anything.