Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Aug 19, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

So say there was a junkyard and there were a couple of 203s in some of the vehicles. Would one person be able to drop one with out killing said person? This would be a dirt junkyard and the person removing it does not have the access to a floor jack.

Thanks

Ira

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'll come to your funeral after you attempt it.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Who said it was me:D . I kinda figured as much that why I did not attempt it today. I did get me another set of 56s and they had a Dually Dana 70 from a 92+ Cheby just begging me to pull it.

Ira

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If this said person is only needing the range box then just unbolt all the bolts and jump back quick before it lands. Not much going to hurt the cast iron case of the range box. :thumb:

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The one I was gonna get had 2 crossmembers and someone fabed a skid plate between them. I was gonna let it sit on the skid plate and then unbolt the mounts and let it drop. Oh well I am home now and really sore and tired. I did not have the proper socket for GM ubolts so I removed them with my crescent wrench:doah: . But the spring hanger bolts slid out by hand and the truck was a 76:D .

Ira

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

in a word..DON'T!!

I've done a few on the dirt,and was lucky to still have all my arms, legs, and a skull after that....had to just pull it and let it drop onto a peice of 3/4" plywood ,then use a riding mower to "tow" it out from under it!..I bet a 203 weighs 150-200 lbs easy alone,not counting the adapter!..even TWO people would have diffuculty doing it in a junkyard on dirt..more chance of doubling the injuries recieved really!..

In a junkyard situation,I'd say let them yank it out for you,or at least do the lifting ...--they will probably lift the truck up with a forkloader ,and prop it up on another car,or flip it on its side,and use a chain and the forklift to pull the T-case after removing the bolts ,etc...its not worth getting your skull or chest caved in for!...:crazy:

7. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did it myself without a jack. unbolt all the bolts from the trans and linkages. then throw a tire under there for it to land on if you need and unbolt the cross rail from the frame. remeber to jump back when it lets go:) I just dropped mine on the ground and dragged it out since the tire under it would have put it to tall to slide out from under the Burban I was pulling it from.

8. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

just leave the x member in and before you take out the bolts, prop it up like the pic... remember you will have to do both sides this way... :D

acmeeddietrap.jpg

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That would have worked also. The two crossmembers and skid plate are factory and not home brewed. I used to have that same set-up on my 76 blazer.

10. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    strung el cheapo straps under the front and rear output. unbolted and shoved off. didn't hit the ground either lol.

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I did one out of a '76 wasn't bad at all. this was in the snow in early spring. dragging it wasn't the problem........having the frame 2" lower than the lowest spot on the 203...now that was a different story.

....and its not all that bad.......I lifted the new 203/205 doubler out of the back of my dodge today and set it nicely on the garage floor......cause I don't have a hoist just now :crazy:

12. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

I have done several to get to the adapters and it isn't to bad, just be somewhere else when it drops. I usually left the adapter bolted to the trans less work and on single crossmember trucks you can unblolt all of that stuff after you push/pull the t-case out of the way.