Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 Shifter options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by acablik, Mar 1, 2003.

1. acablik

acablik Registered Member

I need to get a good shifter for my stock np203. Does anyone know if there are any good aftermarket shifters, or should I just get a good used stock shifter? I think my shifter is a P.O.S! Its like the T-case is stuck in neutral. I just put in the 203 and drove it around, tried to shift it and it got stuck. Had to push it home!!! The 203 seems fine, I just want to get a good shifter for it. Please help.

2. acablik

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

find another one at a wrecking yard, take the 2 apart and make a twin stick setup. 203 Shifters suck...plain and simple.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    find another one at a wrecking yard, take the 2 apart and make a twin stick setup. 203 Shifters suck...plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]
    as far as i know you can not twin a 203.

just replace it as a stock item. maybe get the shifter lever re-chromed, or be like me and sand blast the old one and powdercoat it.
    Grant

5. Panther212

Panther212 Registered Member

I have the same problem with mine, except it won't shift into the loc positions. Sometimes it gets stuck in 4 hi, too. I hate the 203's shifter, I never even thought about it getting stuck in neutral... Time to get it fixed.

Does anyone know how to make a two stick set up? Any links maybe? I could probably do the linkages, I just don't know how I'd mount them in the cab.

6. acablik

Do you make one lever work each movement, i.e. one lever for hi/lo and the other for lock/unlock? Does anyone have pictures or any further instructions on twin sticking the 203??? This sound like a good way to solve the 203 shifter problems.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif... Kill sadam this time!

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am going to do mine shortly. I know it can be done because guy I work w/ has it in his truck. 1 shifter does the 2wd/4wd, the other does the hi/lo

8. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

steven makes a twin for the 203..

all hail the almighty sawzall /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. popafink

popafink Registered Member

I can built you one for your 203. I have one on my truck works great. You have to put a part time kit in it. You would then have 2wd/4wd lo/hi Its great you have 2wdlow it really comes it handy you also can shift from 2wd to 4wd on the fly I can built you one for 75.00

10. 383Jimmy

383Jimmy Guest

Did you try taking the shifter out and cleaning it? I like the 203 Hurst shifter after taking mine out and cleaning/lubing it. It's easy to take apart and clean. After I re-installed mine, it's like a brand new shifter. My dog jumped out of the cab the other day and bumped my shifter out of 4hi into neutral, that's how easy it is to shift now. (glad I had the parking brake on...I was on a hill!)

11. acablik

That sounds like a good price to me ($75). How hard is it to install? And if you have a picture, can you post it? I do have a part time kit in my 203, so hoefully it will work.

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The 203 shifter guts are exposed, so after years and years of dirt and grime getting into 'em, they get buggered.

Pretty easy to pull 'em out and clean them. That alone would prolly take care of the problem. On mine, I found the case halfs begining to separate (rivets working loose) causeing exsessive play in the assembly. So I just clamped it up in a vise and spot welded the rivets directly to the case. Lubed it up, and worked it by hand. Slaped it in and adjusted the rods as need. And presto' a silky smooth shifter.

Ohhh, another note,
    Check the fit of the actuating levers to the 203 shifter shaft. If I remember correctly, I had a set "strip-out" slightly, they are kinda-of a "Double D" style fit, and can wear-out after awhile. I seems as tho I rember welding them up and grinding them back down to take up the slack - it's been quite a long time since I had to play with that...

Good luck.

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Give us a call, our Doubler shifter works great on a 203 by itself. And comes with a floor boot and bolt rings, etc.