Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 swap to a 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by will_b_shady, Apr 17, 2007.

1. will_b_shady

will_b_shady Registered Member

i am going to be swaping out my 203 t-case for a 205 and i want to know if it will bolt right up? drive shafts work? if not what will i need to make this work?

ty

2. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

If you already have the 205, I would just go ahead go for a doubler if you want to do that much. 203/205 doubler is the same length and your 203 so your rear driveshaft will fit(not sure about the front but I think so) and it will mate up to your tranny since its already setup for the 203. If you just go for the 205, your driveshafts will have to be altered, cross member moved and do something about mating it up to the tranny. thats my .02, im sure others will chyme in tho im just a newb:rolleyes:

3. blaze4999

blaze4999 Registered Member

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I have a 465/203 and want to get a remanufactured 465/205 combo to put in. I was still thinking about it, and not quite into the research phase. I hope someone who has done this chimes in for both me and you!

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I have swapped my th350 version 203 for a th350 version 205. You will need the 205 adaptor plate. The front output typically has a square flange so they do mate differently so you will need a new/used shaft. As long as your 205 is fixed yoke, the rear shaft, if I member right, can be reused as long as you have the right yokes- 1310 factory on mine. The tranny and case bolted right up and no relocating crossmembers or anything. I recommend renting or borrowing a tranny jack cuz that 203 is one heavy sum bitch. Plus getting the 205 tipped right for instalation is easier with a tranny jack. Hope that helps.

FYI Guz71- you only use the range box of the 203 and that bolts to the front of the 205 (with an adaptor plate inbetween) so both shafts come out of the 205.

5. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

I've done the swap too, and would say all of the above..

I got a new rear DS cause mine was toast. If I were doing it again I would go ahead and twin stick the 205... the doubler was out of my price range.

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what trans you have now and what trans the 205 came from behind are going to have an affect on how easy the swap is.

7. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I love having the twin stix. It adds loads of manuverability. Double price- yea I can relate!:wink1:

8. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

thanks, I was aware of that but I know the 203 is thicker(not the gear box part included) so i wasnt sure if that meant the front driveshaft would sit further back with the doubler, if that makes any sense. I would think the front drivshaft would be further back by whatever length the adaptor plate is.like i said I wasnt sure....still learning:rolleyes:

9. will_b_shady

will_b_shady Registered Member

the trans in my k5 is the 350 and i am pretty sure the truck this 205 came out of was also the 350. who offers the adapter plater that you are talking about. thanks for all the great information!!:D also this is my dd did you notice in gas milage?

10. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I replaced my tranny and swapped in the 205 in one weekend by myself with no airtools. Started right after work on Friday and Sunday night was putting the wheels on. Try and get the adaptor plate with the 205. Here is my 205 with adaptor plate on the front. The Plate is the stand that supports the t-case- bolts to the crossmember. Be sure to also get the splined sleeve that joins the tranny output with the t-case input.
    [​IMG]

11. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Will the shifters end up in the same hole?

12. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Same hole? Perv!

Not sure what you are askin?