Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 T-case shifting problems?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chosen1, Sep 17, 2003.

1. chosen1

chosen1 Registered Member

I finally got my 78 K5 moving under its own power 3 days ago after sitting for 2+ years. It runs good and moves good however, I'm having problems shifting my 203 T-case into different ranges. I finally got it from H to HI LOCK after some lubing the linkage and working it back and forth. However I can't get the t-case lever into N or L or Low Lock? The front hubs are manual locking hubs. I did not install them, My friend did. i know it's a 203. What would cause this? the truck has been sitting for many years. has anyone else experianced this? any help would be greatly appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It is the linkage.. They have to be lined up just right.. Best thing to do is to go buy a haynes manual on that truck.. It will tell you how to line them up.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. chosen1

chosen1 Registered Member

Thanks, I'll look it up and try again. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It is really hard to explain how to set them up. But you need a nail to line them up threw the shifter.. I'll be willing to bet 50% of the problems people have with a 203 is in the shifters..

5. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

hey if you could try to explain how to do this that would great as i cant spare a dime at this time. or if soemone could post a scan of theese pages of the repair manual or e-mail me one, that would make my week. :D

6. chasone64

chasone64 Registered Member

It's not that hard - Put the tcase in neutral, make sure it's in neutral, undo the shifter linkages(back off the nuts on both sides). There is a hole in the side of the shifter & both levers, move the levers until you can put a drill bit (if I remember correct it's like 3/16")through the hole & both levers, then tighten the linkages to that spot.
    That re-sets the shifter linkages & the case to neutral.
    The case might not be in neutral when the shifter says it is, you have to make sure the case is in neutral, otherwise it will be wrong.
    Hope I explained this clear enough for you!! :)