Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 t-cases shorter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Kell, Sep 2, 2003.

1. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Doing the 3/4 ton swap and grabbed the front driveline off the donor truck(77 k20) when compared to my previous driveline it is a couple of inches shorter /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, what gives? Also it seems with the new(77) D44 under the front that the old driveline is also to short. When siting level the driveline barely reaches. is the D44 shorter also, I tried measuring but couldn't find a good way to do it. Sorry for all the stupid questions /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, I'm just starting to panic because I leave for school in a week and a half and this swap is only half done. thanks in advance.
    -Kell-

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

what tranny is in the donner truck? your th700/208 is a pretty long setup and I think a th350/203 is a shorter combo. The d44 and 10b are about the same pinion length far as I know I swapped in a 3/4 10bolt and I didn't have any problems, I also have a 6" lift with the stock front shaft.

85K5 3/4 ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I'm not sure what tranny was in the truck since it was stripped before I snagged the axles. it was a k20 camper special from 77 if that helps.
    -Kell-

4. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    77 Camper special = TH400 + 203.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Well it had to have a 350,400,or 465 obviously which far as I know are all shorter than the 700/208 combo, I think. Now that I think about it, it must have had a shorter combo because the driveline doesn't fit. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Find another driveline, have yours retubed or leave the driveline out for now.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First off, the driveshafts would be different lengths and also different types of C/V's so long as both had a factory driveshaft still. The "77" driveshaft will be a yoke type and the "87" will be a flange type C/V. AFAIK the D44 and 10 bolt both have the same dimensions for the pinion length. You need to be using your existing driveshaft with the D44 axle. Are you sure that the driveshaft slider just isn't collapsed all the way or even part way?

7. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

The stock driveline I have been running is shot but the tube of the shaft is longer then the one out of the 77, both still extend and collapse the same amount so I dont think that would be the problem. The yoke u-bolts(that hold in the u-joint) were missing /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so i was thinking of just swapping yokes from my 10blt. the u-bolts are different for some reason but still same size u-joint. the CV joints on the drvilines seemed the same though, but I'm no expert. thanks for the help.
    -Kell-