Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 teardown?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by TONYP, Apr 8, 2003.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I just got my 203 range box and adapter to start my Doubler project. I have the alum output off and the center cast part off, now I'm not sure what to keep on the range box out shaft, It sticks out about 8" and has the sprocket for the chain on it. I have my books at home so I can't ref them but want to get this thing apart. anyone... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

IIRC, the shaft that Dr. Watson sends you replaces it. I'm having trouble figureing out what bearing to use /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

i have been too bust tearing apart the 205 and getting it ready to be machined I have forsaken the 203 for a bit. maybe paint it tonight and get it bolted to the adapter tomorrow.

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

That aluminum plate and the shaft comes out, take your time getting the snap rings off, they are a bitch. The new shaft will be installed into the doubler itself with the bearing from the alumium plate on the range box and the snap rings.

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

the shaft with the alum plate came out when I pulled the cast housing off, and all the needle bearing fell out at the same time (got them all). So i take the snap ring off and take the alum plate off...going to do it right now...

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

got it apart, now do i need to keep the old roller bearing that were in the range box and around the old shaft, when i pulled the shafe out they fell into the range box, if I need to keep them how many were there...

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

15 fat ones. the skinny ones are junk

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

got them and put them in a bag...now do you keep the alum disk that was on the old shaft?
    so far i have
    1-range box
    2-loose gear in range box 3"
    3-loose gear in range box 6"
    4-15 3/16 needle bearings

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

do you have pics? i am having a tough time visualizing all this stuff. pics would really help.

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

ok i have the gear on the fork #3, gear #6, and do i keep the alum plate #9 ,looks like a round disk...

[​IMG]

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i don't think so. but what is the bearing we need? I'll go snap a pic of mine really quick...

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok i have the gear on the fork #3, gear #6, and do i keep the alum plate #9 ,looks like a round disk...

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you mean this?

[​IMG]

I think the bearing I need is under this, not sure how to get it off...but i havn't been looking at it much, been claening and preping the 205 and 203 range case.

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Update:

I re-read my instructions, and when and used a rubber mallet to get the shaft in the above pic out. Then there is a snap ring holding a rear "thingie" on. then slide the shaft out of the aluminum housing.

Using 3 screw drivers, i got the snap ring out of the aluminum housing, and then the bearing. The aluminum housing isn't reused.

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

when you take the snap ring (#45) off(took me 1 min)you have the "input shaft bearing" (#42) then the alum plate "input shaft bearing retainer"(#42) then "thrust washer" (#41) then "low speed gear and bushing"(#40)..I let all the roller bearings come out the end of the shaft then worked the shaft out...

[​IMG]

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I hope you guys got this figured out, I think everything is right so far. The caged ball bearing comes out of the alum. dome shaped bearing retainer and goes into our adapter, you keep the 15 needles to re-install, and all the parts under the bearing on the factory shaft come off that shaft and get installed on our shaft.