Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 to 205 swap (crossmember)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr_clean, May 1, 2005.

1. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I had thought the crossmember was the same for the 203 or 205, but I tried to install my tranny/t-case (TH350/NP205) today and the holes on my crossmember were about 1 - 2 inches too wide.

Is there some trick to make this work, or do I need to basically go looking for a 205 crossmember?

Anyone fairly local to CA got one lying around they want to part with?

Scott

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I did the th350/np203 swap to sm465/np205 , used the 205 x-member but had to drill a new hole in the frame...:D

3. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking it might be easier to weld a plug into one of the holes in my cross member and drill out a new hole in the proper location...

Does this sound like a viable option?

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I don't know that I would bother filling in the old hole. Just drill a new one and you should be ready to go

5. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

when i swapped mine I wound up using a np241 out of a 90 sub on mine

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mine fit??

I put a NP205 in place of the original NP203 in my 74 K20--but I noticed the crossmember has a large slot instead of a hole on the drivers side of the "foot" on the adapter--looking at other crossmembers in my piles of stuff I noticed they had just 2 holes...I dont see why you cant slot out the hole on on side like GM did and bolt it down?--might use a peice of flat plate over the slot on the bottom so the mounts and bolt wont get pulled thru...

How come everything I have for sale off my truck is only wanted by folks 3000 miles away??? :confused: :dunno: :screwy: :angry1: ....I hate selling stuff for scrap when someone could use it!--but shipping is too expensive and a hassle...it sucks,but what can ya do??.. :frown1: :crazy:

7. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I hear ya, everything I find for sale that I need seems to be Colorado or east...

Does the slotted one you are talking about have about a 3/4" slot maybe 2 - 3 " long?

The holes I'm referring to in my crossmember are roughly 3/4" by 1" ovals to allow the tranny mounts to sit down inside the hole. That is why I was thinking I might need to fill one if I drill out a new one.

I think I'll play with it tonight and see if I can make something work, otherwise I'll make a PnP run this weekend.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup!

Yes,my 74's crossmember has the slot you described--actually,I think the frame is a 77 frame,my "74" was actually a 77 originally,the previous owner swapped a 2wd 74 cab onto it,and it had axles,bed,and doors off an 86 truck!--a mongrel,but it served me well since 1990...cant complain!...I cant help but think there is 1 elusive part I'm forgetting to strip off it before it goes in the crusher!--and next week me or someone else will need it! :crazy: