Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 to 205 swap ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Dec 4, 2001.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of swapping my 203 out for the 205. I currently have a th350-203 combo. What all will I need to swap to the 205? Cross member, drive shaft, ???

Scott
    78blazer

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Adapter for transmission.

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

3. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I did this same swap on my 78. I needed the transfer case, adapter, shifter, and new driveshafts. The crossmember for the np203 bolted right up to the np205. I was unable to find the correct support rod, so I cut out a section and welded it back together. It was a very easy swap.

DJ
    78 K5

4. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

So Ill need both drive shafts huh the front wont work? Also when looking for drive shafts will I be able to get shafts that are right or will Ihave to have them made?

Scott
    78blazer

5. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I needed both shafts. The front needed to be shortened and the rear lengthened. The np205 came with several different types and sizes of yokes. I don't know if there is a factory application that would have the correct length shafts with the correct ends for your np205.

DJ
    78 K5

6. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

You can have the front shortened and the rear lengthened and balanced for about $75 a piece. If you have the shifter for the 205, it should pop up through the same hole in the floor board. The electrical connection for the 4 wheel indicator is the same. A little Armorall on the boot (where the shifter goes through) and the shifter for the 205 will fit the 203 boot. The strut rod will have to be shortened and welded, no big deal there. Depending on the year of the 205, the front and rear output yokes from the 203 should fit the 205 (front is a CV flange). If the 205 is an 80 or later it will have a slip output that will require a modification to convert it over to a fixed yoke or change out the drive shaft to a match it up. With the TH350 the cross member will bolt up to the holes that are currently in the frame.
    The only big thing that I forgot the first time, if you don't have a set of lockout for the front hubs, you'll need to convert them over to part time (Warn, Milemarker types). Real simple to do also.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Wheels on 12/05/01 09:10 AM.</FONT></P>