Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 to 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by outlawtorn, Sep 18, 2005.

1. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

I just bought desertrats 205 a couple days ago to replace my 203. It came from behind a th350 so it will bolt up there but my question is, does it bolt in like the 203 did or? If anyone has some pics of how its bolted in, it would really help alot. Im trying to get everything setup before the case gets here.

2. outlawtorn

anyone?

3. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

im interested in the same thing... btw nice user name...

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I don't have any pictures but a TH350 to 205 is about as straight forward as they come. Bolt the adapter on the 205 first - than just bolt the four tail shaft bolts on the tranny to the adapter . There are no hidden bolts like on a 203 adapter. All bolts are accessable externally.
    HTH , Tom

5. outlawtorn

Well the 205 i just bought came with a side mount... thats basically what i was wondering about, The rest ive got under control.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Oh , I did not know that...... That side mount stopped being put on trucks around 1975 but you can put it on later model trucks . Sometimes the mounting holes are drilled but if they are not it's no big deal to mock up and drill yourself.
    Do you have the complete mount , or just the part that attatches to the case ?

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Take a look at a thread started by "wazzabee" ( or something like that ) it is a recent thread/post and it has pic's of what the mount looks like bolted up .
    HTH's Tom

8. outlawtorn

wow that really sucks lol, one of my exhaust pipes runs right in that exact spot :doah: and the mount doesnt come with those bushing double :doah: :doah: To be honest im not sure... i was told just "mount lol. Actually i think theres a picture of it in the classifieds here.

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Was it missing some of the bushings? I thought I sent you everything. I can look around. To be honest though, I'd replace the ones that I sent you with some new ones. They should be pretty cheap for the rubber ones. You can do poly ones too if you want. LMC sells them, as does any site selling Energy Suspension. Here is how it mounts:

[​IMG]

Here is the TC with the side mount:

[​IMG]

10. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here's the thread. I added some more questions to it.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1315185#post1315185

I took a np205 from a 72 K5 wich stock had a Np205-Th350 as the donner to put into a 78 k5 blazer stock with a np203-th350. I used the adapter from the 72 to bolt up to my 78 th350. No problems here. The np205 sat on the crossmember correctly also. The two problems are this. The frame supports are not a bolt in. See my thread above. Also the shifer will need to be bent from the 72 k5. The np205 is much heavier so having good frame support is important. If your donner is from a 73-78 you may not have the problems as I do with the 72. Maybe someone else can chime in here?

11. wazzabie

Stopped around in 1975 for the NP205 only? My 78 k5 with a th350 has a srut from the t-case to the tranny. I would think that the NP205 had some support since it was heavier.

12. outlawtorn

no everything seems to be with the case. What year did this come out of dessert? Im just stumped as to how to mount it lol.

My 203 bolts to the tranny and then to the crossmember and thats it.

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

After 1975 there were w few years that GM did not use any side mount or strut bar. Around 1978 GM started using the strut bar on 203 and 205 cases to avoid killing the tranny cases and bellhousings.
    Either a side mount or a brace is a fantastic thing to have and the only folks I know of that do not use them are the ones that do not know of them or are hardheaded and do not see the need for them.
    Tom

14. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I don't mean to hijack but I ask this every chance I get and still havn't gotten an answer.

How much longer is the rear dline when swapping to a 205 from a 203. Or can someone with a 6" lift give me an exact measurement of theirs. :D

15. Desert Rat

It came out of a 76 Blazer. You shouldn't have any crossmember problems since they didn't start flaring out the frames until later. Later model Blazers starting seeing the frame spreading out as you moved to the back of the vehicle. You should simply be able to be able to bolt the adapter to the back of the tranny while it is supported. I believe there is an O-ring gasket that goes on the front of the adapter. Then, you bolt up the crossmember to the bottom of the adapter. I'd buy some new rubber or poly TC mounts. Lift the crossmember up until it is against the bottom of the frame and mark the frame where you will drill new holes. Then drill and bolt up the crossmember. Get a new figure eight gasket for the adapter/TC and some RTV. Bolt up the NP205 and you are ready to go. Measure your TC front and rear yokes to the axle yokes to see if you need to modify your driveshaft lengths. As for the side mount, the TC has the two bolts I left on it for you. You simply drill holes in the frame ala the schematic I posted. They may already be there. Then you bolt up the side mount just like the pic. That NP205 came out of my 76 just as I described it. I opted to do a doubler setup and so I bought a NP205 and NP203 rangebox from ORD.

Also, I think the only rigs that had supports from the tranny to the engine mounts were the ones with a 700r4 K-case which then had the cast shield on the bottom. I swapped a 700r4 into my 76 and got the cast cover but I would have to put the later engine mount brackets on to run the support rods. I'd like to see one that has a strut from the TC to the tranny. I wouldn't mind doing something else to support mine, although ORD and HAD say that with a doubler and two crossmembers I don't need to.

16. wazzabie

My 78 k5 has support struts from the tranny to the engine mount on the engine block. I only had on strut so I picked a new one many years ago at the GM dealer for 9 bucks.

So my stock 78 k5 blazer with an TH35-NP203 had the t-case to tranny and two struts from the tranny to the engine mounts as stock.

17. Desert Rat

Are the mounts that go with the engine mounts easy to get on? It looks like they go under the engine mounts? What does the TC to tranny struts look like? Any pics anyone?

18. outlawtorn

Thanks doug, that was exactly the answer i was looking for :D My blazer is a 76 aswell so it even matches :laugh:

19. wazzabie

Very easy to get on. Just bolts in with a bolt on each end. The stut is about a foot in length.

20. Desert Rat

Good, I think I'll throw some on just to be safe. I have the cast cover on now, all I need is the brackets and the struts. They can't be too expensive.....