Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 to part-time 4wd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Apr 18, 2004.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I have a th350 with a 203 that has a part-time kit in it. it was already in it when I bought the blazer, so I don't really know anything about this kit, how it installs or whatever. and I am swapping in a th400/203, but it doesn't have a part time kit in it. my question is, is this something I could easily swap from one to the other? is it just in the rear housing part of the t-case, or would the whole thing have to be torn down? or would I just have to buy a whole new kit because it's a 400 version? just trying to find out just how big of a project this would be, or if it's even do-able, before I go tearing into either one of them. thanks for any advice you could give me on this. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

th400 use shorty 32 spline and 350 use 27 spline you would have to convert case over by disassembling it and swapping parts,.

4. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I knew they had different input gears, but I wasn't sure about the part time kit itself, if that had different splines too, or could be swapped as a unit from one to the other. anyway, thanks for the input.

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I don't see why you couldn't take the kit from one 203 and put it in the other. The only problem might be if you require more/different shims when you put it in the new transfer case.

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

There shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't just swap the kit from one case to the other but (as already stated) you may or may not have to add or remove shims to set endplay on the output shaft.

It's a pretty easy operation either in the truck or on the bench. You just remove the tail housing and everything is right there.

If you wanted to put it off for awhile you could just put in your new tranny and TC and keep your hubs locked. That way it will be full-time 4WD and you can swap the conversion kit in whenever you had the time.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif