Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 transfer case question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by monte0172, Jul 23, 2003.

1. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I got my t-case back together and was wondering in the hi position if i spin the inpit shaft should the front driveshaft just kinda sit there and barely move? It seams that i remember a few posts saying that if you pull your front shaft out then you have to run in the lock position. I guess im not grasping how it all works together. Please someone explain. I need to make sure the transfer case is together right before i put in back in the blazer. Thanks,

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Do you have a part-time kit?

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i didn't think i did, but it turns out it did. put it in high or low, non loc and spin the front driveshaft, if nothing else turns it's part time.

4. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Ok im thinking that its not togather right because when i put it in hi and spin the front drive shaft nothing spins but when i put it in lock everything spins??? does this make any sense? the guy who half way built it im not sure if he did it right and i really need to know before i put it in. Suggestions?

5. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Ok this is what i did I bolted the front plate to it and then bolted the shifter up like it should be in the truck. then i put it in high and spin the front drive shaft and it turns bu it self. then if i hold the rear shaft and spin the input shaft the front spins. Now if i hold both front and rear then try to spin the inpit shaft it wont budge. Does this sound like its right? If it splits the load between front and rear then this would make sense but im not positive.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

In the LOC positions, holding any one (input, front or rear) shaft should prevent the others from turning. In the H and L positions there are two possibilities. If its a stock 203 with no part-time kit, then spinning the input shaft while holding one of the other shafts should spin the opposite shaft. If it has a part time kit then spinning the input shaft and holding the rear output should be impossible as the two should be locked together and eliminating the front output all together.

7. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Well Borregok5 it looks like your a wealth of knowledge. Thanks you for taking the time to help me with my lift questions and my t-case questions. I can build an engine blind folded as well as rear ends and setup any kind of race car you could imagine. My wiring skills are not the best ive seen but I learned from the best ive seen and Id say they are pretty good but when it comes to tranny's and transfer cases Im lost. Ive never messed with them but Im slowly learning. If i take it apart i can generally put it back together. But if i dont take it apart and then have to put it back together im generally concerned if its going to work. Again Thank you everyone for all the help.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I think you'd find that manual trannies are pretty straight forward for an engine builder and auto trannies are much less complicated than people make them out to be. The 203 t-case stuff was a little foreign to me at first because I bought mine with a part-time kit installed (but didnt know it) and it never seemed to work right... until CK5 straightened me out. Glad I could help.

9. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I guess my biggest problem when it come to trannies is i have never took the time to mess with them. When i was racing manuals i would by a manual tranny out of a vega or monza for 50-100 bucks and it would be good for about 10-15 passes then 1st gear was toast so id go get another and throw it in. They were weak trannies but they had a hell of a first and second gear and were cheap. Then my first auto i had a friend of mine in nebraska built it for a tractor pulling truck and it went through 3 cars before i finally sold it with my 68 chevelle. but hey a manual w/pictures and myself taking it apart i can generally fix it. Hopefully the truck will be done this weekend and then next week i can get tags for it and drive it insteadt of just looking at it sit there.