Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 wont engage the front drive shaft.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Nov 22, 2003.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

No matter what position the shift lever is in, the front shaft is never ingaged. What could be the problem? could the chain be broke? Also will a 203 from an sm465 bolt right back up to my th 350? or will I have to shitch internals? If i do have to do this how hard is it? is there a book? Sorry for all the Questions, This is my first ever 203 (all the rest were 205). /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No matter what position the shift lever is in, the front shaft is never ingaged...could the chain be broke?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are sure it is not engaging at all in any position, then i would think the chain is broke

[ QUOTE ]
    Also will a 203 from an sm465 bolt right back up to my th 350?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, different input on the 203

3. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Try adjusting the linkages first. I had the same problem with my 74, and I adjusted the linkages and fix the problem somewhat. ( I did it at pismo after driving out there and getting in trouble.)

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I will definetly try adjusting the linkages then. But if it is broken, can i take the internals of one 203 and put them in my 203 (minus the input shaft)?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Which linkage is it that I need to adjust?(there are two rods) ? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

ill pm ya my nu
    but i have seen several range box's that were bad

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

It goes into low range. So does one of the linkages adjust the range and the other lock the front driveline or somthing?casue right now it just drives around in f hi lock with the hubs unlocked but the drive shaft never spins. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

"so does one of the linkages adjust the range and the other lock the front driveline"
    well that is basically correct
    its real easy to check your chain with it stil in truck
    get a pan to catch the oil and take off the cover on the back side of the front out put
    the big round aluminum one care full not to break the edges trying to pry it off just tap it back and forth in a cicrculer pattern a few times and it should kinda "step out "
    dont worry the bearing is pressed in so it wont fall out ( or at least it shouldnt
    now ya got the cover off squeze the chain for flex test and run a little magnet around the bottom of the case looking for chunks of metal in the oil and then look at the gears that the chain runs on any rounding or teeth missinig??
    if it all checks out ok then
    clean it up put some rtv to seal it good and put the cover back on dont forget to tighten by hand gradually in a criss cross pattern
    and fillit back up with oil
    hope it helps
    R

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Ok, Thanks doc /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI coant belive i didnt think of just taking off that back cover /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gifwell thanks again and i' willdefinetly do that. I have seen those chains before and they are massive so iwould think it would be tough to break with only 4" lift and 35's and nothing else broken so probly linkages but well see /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif