Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

203 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979chevystepside, Dec 18, 2006.

1. 1979chevystepside

1979chevystepside Registered Member

so heres the deal. i was reading up on this huge hunk of junk that i have for a tcase and came across a couple of old threads that said this: if your truck has manual hubs and a 203 it wont move if it is free at the hubs and and not in LOC on the tcase.

it goes on to say if it does move, then it has a Part Time kit in it.

so heres MY question, how come my truck moves when the hubs are in the free position and not in lock mode? I know my last 203 and the one that is in there now does not have the part time kit. i also know that the hubs are working right due to when i was climbing a hill and starting spinning, only the rear spun. so does my truck just not fit into what the 203 SHOULD be doing or is this a false statement that the truck wont move if the hubs are free and not in lock?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Are you sure it is a 203 and are you sre it was not in 4 loc?

Ira

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

And are you sure it doesn't have a part time kit. I have taken two 203s out of poeples trucks to install a part time kit only to find they already have one. One of the guys got his case from a junkyard. It already had the part time kit installed.

The reason it shouldn't move if you are still full time and have the front hubs in the free wheel position is that the transfer case basically has a differentail in it. Just like an open diff, power will follow the path of least resistance (to put it simply).

4. 1979chevystepside

1979chevystepside Registered Member

agreed but then it should also pull with the front wheels if it is locked in at the axle. right? personally i think that tcase is just sketchy to begin with mine works fine its just always seems like im going to break it. anyway either i have gotten 2 cases that i was PROMISED that it was full time 4x4 and gotten converted ones or my truck is just messed up. im pretty sure its full time because the front drive shaft spins in unlock mode driving it around with the hubs unlocked.