Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 Adaptor question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Feb 25, 2002.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

My buddy picked up a 205 t-case this weekend, but had to pass on the adaptor since it was cracked. The shaft is the right teeth count for his application, 10 count for a stick shift tranny. His current setup uses the same tranny (not the SM465) mated to a 203. Here's the question, will the adaptor that's on the 203 work for a 205?? Or will he have to hunt down an adaptor??? THANKS!!!!

Project Manager: 1975 K5 HD

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The adaptors are different. If he has a 4 speed and 203 what tranny does he have? AFAIK the SM 465 was the only tranny with a 10 sline output used in our trucks. The TH350 was 27 spline and the TH400 was 32 spline. I do recall an overdrive 4 speed, but I don't think it was used with the 203.

Your buddy may have been better off grabbing the 205 adaptor and having it repaired...they can be hard to find.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Like Rene said, they are different.

I have both adaptors here on hand. I can get pics up to show you the differences.

The differences are on the t-case side of the adaptor. The 465 side are both the same with the 'figure 8' bolt pattern.

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Rene,
    I'm not much of an expert on the stick shift trannies, so I'm not sure which one it is. It could be a SM465. It's a 74 with a 350 (maybe 400) and a 203. The truck we pulled the 205 from has the same tranny, I didn't pay much attention to it, but my buddy said it's the same one as in his Blazer. Maybe he does have the 465 and I mis-heard him, but the 205 definitely had a 10 tooth spline, I'm positive of that.
    We didn't get the adaptor becuase it was a pretty good crack, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't cast steel not really repairable??

Wes,
    I appreciate you offering to take the pictures, but it's not really necessary. I take you're word for it. We were just hoping he could use the old 203 adaptor, I had a hunch we wouldn't be able to, but I thought I'd ask any way. Thanks!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

74 was the only year the SM465 was offered with the NP203. full time 4wd and a 4 speed don't mix well. The 205 will work with that tranny but you'll need the adaptor for the 205.

Cast is repairable...but it's not easy. The adaptor in my truck has been repaired after cracking, it requires a special rod to weld up the crack as well as a fairly strict procedure to keep from making it worse. When repaired correctly it should be as strong as before...I've jumped my truck a few times since the repair with no trouble at all.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Rene,
    I guess he does have the SM465, I probably heard him wrong. Either that or he wasn't sure and told me he didn't. I talked to him this morning and he mentioned he'd rather find another one than get the repaired one. He hopes he can find it for $100, but the pirates around here at the local truck dismantlers will probably want to take him for a ride, more like want to ride him. They qouted me $100 for a used 73-80 fender the other day. Thee most common fender on the planet!!!! God they piss me off. How's things up north??
    Sam

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

talldog,
    you may want to hit the pick a part places in otay and brownsfield. i've seen 3 - 4 auto np205s in the past 4months. it's worth a shot, as for the manual np205. they're everywhere, ;you could probably get one for under 150 w/adapter.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

8. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

ARQ,
    LOL!! That's where we got the 205!! If you go there soon, there's a shortbed truck on the last row of the truck section, that's the truck we pulled it from. The only other 205 I saw was on a furd. So we still need the adaptor.
    BTW Should we have pulled the crossmember too?? We're swapping from 203 to 205?? Thanks.

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i knew i should of stoped by this weekend, oh well. not sure about the xmember. i hear you have to make one of the holes bigger or to a side more. not sure, hope someone can clarify this.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

10. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

ARQ,
    A little bird (from Surrey, BC) told me that the crossmember will work but will need to be relocated.
    Sam