Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 and d44 yokes and driveshafts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly_blazer, Jun 8, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a divorced 205 from a 1974 dodge that I am putting in my K20. The K20 has a ff14 and a dana 44. I don't know the spline count on the front/rear 205 outputs (I'll have to borrow a big socket) but have read that the front is a 32 spline??? The dodge 205 input and output yokes all use a neapco 1-6300 u-joint. What I want to know is if I could buy new yokes for the 205 input and ouput shafts and the dana 44 that will use the same ujoints as the 14FF? From where and about how much would they cost? The driveshafts will both be the same lenght and this way they would both use the same joints at both ends = 2 identical driveshafts /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif. And now for the intermediate shaft - the transmission is a th400. The trans output yoke (slip yoke design) uses a neapco 2-3011 (s44?) and the t-case input uses a 1-6300, any ideas on what to do here to keep the u-joints the same on both ends of this shaft? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Sorry I don't have any spicer numbers, neapco is all I found online (partsamerica.com)

2. ugly_blazer

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

not much help here I know with this post, but remember the small ujoint is going to be the weaker link, and ujoints do go out on occasion. if you can try to make sure the ujoints between the tranny / tcase are as big as the others. offhand I don't remember where to get the yokes for the 205, you might call stephen at ORD or Matt at West Texas Offroad.

4. ugly_blazer

Ya, I may give Stephen a call. If he can't help I'm sure he can point me in the right direction. Good point on the smaller joint on the intermediate shaft, hopefully something larger is available. It is a DD, light duty wheelin', and occasional tow rig.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

1350 series yokes for the TH400, NP205, and 14-bolt should be easy... that's just 1-ton Chevy stuff.

Might be hard to find a 1350 yoke for the D44. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Later model Chevy 205s use a 30 spline output on the front. Some are a very coarse spline as well. All of the ones I've ever owned were 30 spline. I believe the coarse spline is 10 splines, but I've never counted.

Rear output is 32 spline on a Chevy 205.

1-6300 is a 7260 Detroit, a u joint only available in 2wd Dodge trucks according to the Neapco book.

2-3011 is a very common Saginaw S44 found in many GM applications as well as others. It is approximately the size of a 1330 and shoudl hold up well in your intermediate shaft where the u joints will run at zero or nearly zero angle and that is before the multiplication that occurs in the transfer case when in low range anyway. I doubt you'll have any intermediate shaft issues at all to be honest with you.

I'm sure a 1350 yoke is available for the 30 spline output on the 205, and I know for a fact that you'll have no problems finding a 1350 for your D44 in the aftermarket. Your 14 bolt will already have a 1350 on it and any 3/4 ton rear output yoke can be bolted to the 205 to give you a 1350 at that point.

All of this sounds like a good plan. Run the Chrysler u joint in one side and the Saginaw in the other end of your intermediate shafts and run the 1350s in the driveshafts and I'm pretty sure you won't have any issues with breakage unless you manage to bind the 1350s.

If you're thinking of upgrading to 1410, it can be done but it will require that you upgrade your front output shaft to a Ford 32 spline unit as a 1410 yoke is not available for the Chevy 30 spline output. 1410 will offer you more angle if you think you're going to have angularity issues (which I doubt you will with shafts that long) and a minimal increase in strength.

If you have any further driveline questions, I happen to have a Neapco catalog at home and can provide any information that you might need.

Neapco part number for a 1350 is 2-0053.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The Dodge divorced NP205 is supposed to have 32-spline shafts all around.

I'd like to prove it, but I can't get the yokes off mine. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm not sure on the Dodge cases, never researched it myself.

9. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Here is a link to the yokes: clicky

10. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is a link to the yokes: clicky

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool link, looks like they have everything I need, thanks

11. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    The Dodge divorced NP205 is supposed to have 32-spline shafts all around.

I'd like to prove it, but I can't get the yokes off mine. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are 32 spline for all 3 yokes. I finally bought a socket today to take mine off. At napa the socket was $8.99, but a 3/4" drive. The 3/4" to 1/2" adapter was $12.95! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Thanks everyone for the help, now I know what to look for. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif