Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 breather

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mnstrburbon, Apr 14, 2007.

1. mnstrburbon

mnstrburbon 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got tranny fluid spraying out of my 205 breather. tranny is np465 should it have tranny fluid or gear oil i belive gear oil and what would cause this?

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Manual trans should have gear oil in it, 80 or 85 wieght

Your tcase can have either gear oil or ATF, but generally you match the trans, so if a leak between the two occur, you dont have contaminated fluids. So you want to drain and refill with gear oil.

As to why you have ATF coming out the breather, my best guess is that it is overfilled... but it could be something else too.

3. mnstrburbon

Thats what i thought same 80 90 weight i just got this thing so was going through it all and lubing and servicing it the tranny was 2,1/2 qts low t case was ok i think the seal between them may be bad and thats why the low tranny and now overflowing t case,
    it has a 4 inch piece of 3/8 hose coming out of the top of the t case how long should it be or where should it go its just straight up right now looks to be cut off.

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

thats how it came from the factory... I will be extending mine shortly. I will route a vent line from the tcase to a tee fitting at the transmission and then continue up to the firewall where the little stock "back flow preventor" do-hicky will finally cap the line.

Got the idea from TrustyK5 when he did his nv4500 doubler and plumbed both cases and the trans to a single vent line. By routing to the top of the firewall you can submerge the cases without worrying about water penetration and by joining the tcase and tranny, you only have 1 line to run, not 2 or 3

5. mnstrburbon

Thanks for the info will do have you guys seen or used the brass pebble breathers used on hydrolics alot