Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 cleanup question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Mar 6, 2006.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

So I started the dismantling and eventual rebuild of my new-to-me 205. Or course I don't have a parts cleaner (shoulda kept that old dishwasher, and can't really use the sonic bath at work, that would be frowned upon :D). What do you guys use as solvent to get crud/unidentified gummed-up hydrocarbons/dirt/mud of of components that come off the case (yokes/retainers/output housing etc.)? Anything against carb cleaner? I've got the bucket with the soaking basket, of course it wouldn't be usable for carb parts anymore but it's done its duty in that regard anyway. Mineral spirits?Acetone? Input is appreciated, thanks, michael.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IMO any of that stuff helps, but won't do the job all by themselves.

I've used both the spray engine cleaner stuff that you let sit for a few minutes, and the spray brake parts cleaner. Both take off some, but none that I've seen will cut all the way down to metal through the caked on oil/dirt.

Scrape off the big stuff, wire brush the rest with the help of some solvent.

Hot pressure washing (local serrvice station wash rack? lol) would probably be best for the whole thing if you don't have it apart yet.

With carbs I use a bucket of paint thinner and a stiff bristled nylon brush, that eventually gets all the junk off.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

for ultimate cutting, its hard to beat lacquer thinner... your better off with that than acetone...

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

For a cheap HD cleaner on cast iron, steel etc, I've always liked oven cleaner. Spray the living crap out of it and just let it sit all day... then hose it off. The stuff I use is like 94 cents a can at Wally World and one can is plenty to do several t-cases.

Just make sure you don't use it on anything aluminum... which the oven cleaner pretty much corrodes/destroys. :thumb:

j

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

For really greasy stuff, I'll scrape off everything I can and then use mineral spirits and a brush to get it clean. Then I'll use brake cleaner to cut the film from the mineral spirits.

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Take it to a car wash and get the mud/dirt off of it. Then get 5 or so gallons of that purple cleaner and a tub big enough to hold all of the cleaner and submerge the 205. Soak the 205 in the purple cleaner in the tub for a few days and it will look great. You might take it back to the carwash when its done soaking for super sparkly clean.

The purple cleaner is very strong. I have burned my hands using it and I highly reccomend using rubber gloves. Make sure the tub is strong enough to hold the weight of the 205 without cracking. I dropped one in a cheap tub and it cracked leaking out all my purple cleaner.

7. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Thanks everyone for their input. :D

Too late, it's apart already; outside is cleaned up with the wire wheel (I actually posted a poser pic the other day...), it's the nooks and crannys that I can't get to easily where I thought chemistry would be my friend.

LOL, I did that when I brought it home: got a $4.95 tub, heaved the case in it, it was like 15F and the tub was in the car outside all day; case was in a gargabe bag, slips a little, and CRACK - that was the end of that tub...

Yokes are off (held the yokes in a vise to get the nuts off); input/rear output is apart and components bagged, and the whole house has this very faint smell of gear oil now :rolleyes: ...

8. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

I just finished up a rear axle resto, if you wanna call it that. I completely took everything apart and pressure washed everything seperatly. Nuts and bolts got to sit in some brake cleaner for a day but everything came out looking really good. Its not spotless but its a good starting point to get all the big stuff off and even most of the smaller crud.

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a habit of using gasoline and carburetor cleaner for final cleaning. Both need to be well ventilated.

Initial cleaning can be any number of things.