Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 CV yoke slid out of case!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

My rear driveshaft slid right out of my transfer case this afternoon. The entire shaft came right out of the case (yoke, CV joint and all)

I took some pics when I got home: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jsausman/lst?.dir=/73+Jimmy

The shaft pic is the entire shaft. The yoke pic is the CV joint. The splines pic is a close up of the splines. It looks like when it came it out, it dented up some splines (the light mark on the splines in the pic). The case pic is the case.

So what do I do? I unbolted the yoke from the CV joint and tried to push that back into the case and it doesn't go. I'm guessing from the dents in the shafts. I had planned on picking up a triangular file tomorrow and "fixing" that.

My big question is why did that happen? What keeps the yoke in the case? It doesn't look like it clips or anything. How do I make sure that never happens again (obviously)? Do I need to get the shaft lengthened cause of the lift? If so, why did the shaft fall out on the road and not on the trail when I was flexing? Temporary solutions are greatly appreciated b/c I need to get the truck inspected in four days.

Here is the timeline for backgound.
    Picked up truck on Monday, no problems
    Drove the truck a few days to work, no problems
    Took it for an alignment and to get the TSLs on new rims this morning, no problem
    Wheeled for about 2 hrs, started hearing a metallic rattling sound (like keys jingling) from the transfer case shifter that would go away when I held the shifter
    Stopped for lunch (highway driving), no problem
    Set out again for the trail, I hear a loud thud and a definite change with the way it was driving. I get out and the CV joint of the rear driveshaft is laying on the emergency brake cable!! I unbolted it from the rear axle and limped home in FWD.

Other notes:
    the PO put hurst shifters in for the tranny and case
    found out when the shaft dropped that I had been in 4HI (still finding the line b/t 2HI and 4HI). So I had driven to lunch in 4HI

Thanks!!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There should be a big assed nut holding that yoke on the output shaft...did it get forgotten?

Rene

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Not by me. That would certainly explain why it just slid the heck off and why the center of the output shaft is threaded and there was a washer hanging out in the yoke.

Where can I get a new one? And if anyone has the torque spec on it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks Rene.

Opps, one more thing. What size is it and can you get at it with a socket while it's in the yoke (or how do you tighten it up)? (So I can start digging up a socket for it too).

4. tRustyK5

Unless someone here has one I'd just go down to the dealer. I'll see if I can find a torque spec for you. You'd have to remove the driveline stuff from the yoke to get it back together...

Looking at the pic's I think the splines may clean up...how are the splines on the output?

Lastly...who installed the yoke on there? If it was recent I'd be going back and having a chat with that person or company./forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Rene

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene.

I looked back in the forums and it takes a 1-5/16" socket. So that should be a nut for a 7/8 bolt. And I looked up the torque spec too and it was 150 ft lbs.

I will give the dealer a call and see if they get me one ASAP. My only other option is to buy a coarse and fine 7/8 nut and see if either one fits. I'd rather not do that and risk messing up the threads on the shaft though.

I already pulled the yoke off the shaft when I was trying to get it on the case.

The splines on the output shaft look good.

I'll have to ask the PO if the case was out recently. The "monday pickup" in my intial post was when I bought it.

Thanks again!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. tRustyK5

Good luck with it...hopefully the yoke splines will clean up.

Rene

7. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Pardon my asking this, but shouldn't the fixed yoke end have 2 u-joints together, a "CV" style and one single U-joint at the diff? My Dads '79 is this way, is the driveshaft pictured just another way of doing the same thing? I can't see the other end of the driveshaft in the pics. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think you will be buying a new yoke.
    hard to tell from the small images, but it also looks like you need to get aquainted with some gearoil changing.
    a good cleaning will make field repairs less disgusting.
    powerwash what you can and the details come clean with Vim and elbow grease.

also that is just a u joint not a CV.

9. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the editorial. Perhaps when the case came apart, it threw gear oil on everything. And when I compressed the slip joint to take the shaft off, it pressed grease out the vent on the end. Just maybe.

And I've had the truck for a week so I didn't get to all the fluids yet. Needing to inspect it, I was a bit more worried about other things.

And I know what a CV joint is (two u-joints and a ball joint). I used the wrong name, can you ever forgive me. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

just trying to save you some cash,
    I can see the fresh gear oil that leaked quite plainly.
    it appears to have a good amount of water in it, which is why I suggest changing it.
    if there is water there, the tranny and difs are most likely in the same or worse condition.

if you are too perfect to need pointers I will let it alone then, not my loss /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I greatly appreciate the help m_j. The gear oil should be changed (regardless since I don't know anything about it's condition). I just didn't need the attitude Mr. alt.jerk.webwheeler (just kidding, I like your profile /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

12. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

It has a u-joint at the case, a u-joint at the axle and a slip joint in the middle (which seems to "replace" the CV joint).